• Advertisement

Peerless 770A transmission input shaft seal

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Peerless 770A transmission input shaft seal

Postby lee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 pm

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mo ... odel-770a/
This is leaking the bentonite grease around the input shaft. A snap ring holds on the 5-1/2" pulley which is wallowed out and will have to be replaced. When I pull the pulley off there is another snap ring above the pulley. When I take it off and wipe off the bentonite grease I'm looking at the side of a needle bearing cage. The needle bearings have a little play but not too bad. The diagram above shows an o ring(#44) should be on the outside of the needle bearing. I'm guessing that the washer (#29) holds the o ring in place and the snap ring holds it in place? Both the o ring and the washer are missing on this unit. Does anybody know what size o ring this is? I don't see how this o ring set up could ever work to seal anything. Anybody seen this before? Other than the grease leak and wallowed out input pulley this old tranny seems to shift and work just fine on the bench.
lee
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Peerless 770A transmission input shaft seal

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 pm

ID 15.28 Cross Section 2.62

Same as Briggs & Stratton 271485, 691876 Oil filler plug seal.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Peerless 770A transmission input shaft seal

Postby lee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I spoke too soon. The input pinion gear and the bevel gear it mates with both have worn teeth to the point it slips under load. The cost of these parts plus bushings, needle bearings and the seal probably make this tranny not worth fixing.
lee
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum