• Advertisement

Heads up on belts...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Heads up on belts...

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am

I had customer with a White that his mower's ipl says the belt 1/2 x 60.5 belt but it requires a 1/2 x 59. I also a had a customer (now passed away) with a Yard Machine that also required the same thing.

I don't think anyone at MTD, other manufactures, or after-marketers knows what is what anymore. We sure make OEM manufactures look good when we fix mower from our experience with their goofs. If you want to see mess try looking a Husqvarna on Jack's; some are only partial IPLs.

For me I have nearly enough different size belts on hand now that I can figure what the screw ups are but still frustrating. I here lately spend more time researching belts than I do actual completed belt installations.

It like me being sent a supposedly 3/8 x 34.2 belt last year that actually was only 3/8 x 33.75 for a HU625HWT even the belt from Husqvarna didn't fit. I fitted a 3/8 x 34 after modified and moved the brake assembly to allow more swing of the engagement idler. The trimmer head still moved some when disengaged but have since worn in and is now stopping. I ended having to do the customer second trimmer the same way but it didn't take the half day I spent on the first one. It is the same that I had the replacement spindle shafts knurled to get the bearing to fit tight. The bearing were loose fitting which wore the spindle's journals until they were offset and out balance.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 pm

ARRRG... Two more dang belts labeled wrong size. They was to be .61" x 80.125". Couldn't even get them around the two pulleys before installing the idler. I measure them and they both are 79" long. Darn supplier better call me in the morning or they out the door. I don't care if I have been with them for 7 years or not.

Now I got go locally and pickup a belt as the job is promised out Saturday.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm a little confused - don't you go by the part number? if you mean exact fit matches the part number but the belt is wrong size, definitely is a problem I would think but if you're just going by size, why not just verify part numbers? I dont think I have ever really had any problems with a belt (either OE or aftermarket) as long as it was to the OEM spec by part number and the few cases where it was an issue then 1) the equipment had been modified or parts were excessively worn causing slack, 2) the parts catalog was wrong ( and belt was supposed to be a different part number) or 3) I screwed up looking up parts (taking a guess at model number, or just not paying attention to the notes or serial number break, etc)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 pm

It supposed to be an OEM spec belt for a Cub Cadet 53AA5B6V710, PTO to Deck Drive belt. I actually look-up the PN on the Cub Cadet website and double checked on a couple other sites too. Just replaced a (B1)A93K (4L950K) that was labeled 1/2" x 95" (A&I) that was only measured 1/2" x 94" that customer had brought sometime last year. I did replace it with the 1/2 x 95.25 spec belt (B1138255) though the 95" would have worked on the Craftsman.
ImageImage
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 pm

KE4AVB wrote:It supposed to be an OEM spec belt for a Cub Cadet 53AA5B6V710, PTO to Deck Drive belt. I actually look-up the PN on the Cub Cadet website and double checked on a couple other sites too. Just replaced a (B1)A93K (4L950K) that was labeled 1/2" x 95" (A&I) that was only measured 1/2" x 94" that customer had brought sometime last year. I did replace it with the 1/2 x 95.25 spec belt (B1138255) though the 95" would have worked on the Craftsman.
ImageImage

Hmm strange.. OEM Spec on that belt is supposed to be 79-3/4" from what I can find out, but does not list the actual width.. I wonder if the width of the aftermarket belt might be wrong and it should be a .580 width (Slightly over 9/16" width) instead of 5/8 The part number sounds kind of familiar and I have had a couple OE MTD belts that were smaller width than 5/8 but bigger than 1/2 (not easily noticed unless handling 2-3 other belts at the same time) so just wondering.. but in my experience, when it comes to Cub Cadet if I cant get the belt through MTD (Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor) I'd just as soon pop for the OEM belt (and tack on a markup) as go for an aftermarket one.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 pm

what a dog's breakfast
http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/Produ ... ogId=19502
has .656 wide by 79.8. others say 5/8 wide .
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

What I was getting at is if it is supposed to be 80.125" then it shouldn't be 79"; unless, someone has invented a new standard for the inch.

And I understand about the different widths making different length belts necessary as well as the height profile. The height can make a big difference if you can a belt on or not; also a belt that is too high compare to OEM will probably cause clearance issues. Another factor you got to keep in mind the pitch angles ie bevel.

As for the aftermarket belt size I did put on a Stens 265-800 last summer on the same mower and it was 5/8" x 79-3/4" Kevlar. The belt failed this time because of several bearings failed in the spindles. New spindle hubs and bearings were installed.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Vendor called me back this afternoon. They checked half of the ones they have in stock and they all were 1/2" short so they are crediting me the two I still got in stock. I ordered a B77K from an alternate vendor since Jacksonville is shut down until Irma does her thing.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Well re-visiting this thread. After nearly a year has gone by I gave Sunbelt another try on standard length Kevlar belts. Big mistake... The two 89" were short; one being a 1" and the other being nearly 2" short. What worse was the 90" as it was the same as the 89" that was 1" short.

I call in to complain and their tech support admitted that there is problem but their insists the belt are right which Sunbelt knows is wrong.

What I don't understand and I am seeing a lot of this year is that nearly all the vendors are having problems. I recently became a dealer for Stens. Every time an order has to come out of alternate warehouse it never get shipped; just a shipping label created. Not good as I can't depend on them to deliver the parts ordered.

I don't know if I am going to continue hanging in there as my older inventory is being deleted fast and I am needing quality replacements.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 pm

You should be able to hook up with Power Distributors I can PM you their contact info if you want - Gates belts, Oregon Outdoor,NGK Plugs, etc.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum