• Advertisement

Heads up on belts...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Heads up on belts...

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Here one to look out for if replacing the 95404219 V-Belt. AM supplier are selling a 1/2 x 103 belt as replacement. Well the Yard Man 13AO785T055 it will not work properly unless you downsize to 1/2 x 102 Kevlar ; might even be able to drop 1/2 x 101-1/2. I do know the Yard Man here works fine in tall grass with the 102 as with 103 installed the deck would stall out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Well even Stens is sending out v-belts that are not as describe. I got in a couple Troybilts that needed 1/2 x 103 deck belts. Well the two OEM spec'd v-belts I ordered back in November both are 1/2 x 104 instead the indicated spec. :bricks: Dang it looks like I going to need to completely give up on aftermarket belts altogether. I can't even trust any of them to be right anymore. I got a called in to my Stens rep to see what they are going to do about this. :popcorn: There is no reasonable reason for them to doing this to anyone and causing a lot of wasted time. :cry: Meanwhile I just going put on a couple 102" Kevlars when they get here.

BTW I did measured the old belts and they are definitely a 103" belts, just worn out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 pm

38racing wrote:and model is White 13ad616g... but manual only has that hand written . Printed is L170H (which is on the mower). I have found columbia 13ag616g... and belt for it is 754-04165 coming out as 1/2 x 78. And that's what I finally got for a friend's Toro made by MTD and being model 13ax61r.... I'm really thinking that 0349 is not the drive belt. I'm going to see if I bought a 349 last summer when I got this unit running.
update:looks like I bought the 349 at same time as I bought a deck drive belt for same mower. And for that belt the IPL had conflicting information. I'm thinking I'll order the shorter belt for him this time and see if it fits ok.
Another update:I found another partstree ipl showing 0349 as drive belt. When I click more details it lists models it fits. On some it's the quick reference and when I do that I see it always as the 46" deck spindle belt.

So I bought a 1/2x78 for him. Text message says he has the belt on and is cutting grass. I wonder now if the early failure of the first was because it was an inch too long. I recall that it is a non clutching belt. I think some brands do clutch the hydro drive belt
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Oh what a fun morning I had trying to get the 2 Stens returned for credit. They wanted to argue that the v-belt were the right 103" even though they were measuring on my belt measurer as 104" First they said the belts can vary by 1/2" + or -. That didn't work so they tried blaming my measurements were wrong because my belt measuring was bad and the these tools don't measure belt right. Then I asked why in the he double hockey sticks they are selling the tool then. Then they tried saying I had ordered the wrong belts and wanted the make and model so they cross reference the OEM to Stens number. All while smoke started coming out my ears. Finally they said they credit my account and for me to send the belts back.

Then my inside sales rep from Stens called me to see what the problem was and I repeated the story and he agreed it is stupid to sale a tool if they don't work right. I was so frustrated that I rerouted my entire current Stens order to another vendor using their aftermarket parts instead of the Stens ones; Over $500 they lost this morning.

I just don't who to trust now for getting belts other than the OEM and I not even sure they are right now. :bricks:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum