• Advertisement

Heads up on belts...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Heads up on belts...

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm

my aftermarket has 370 as 5/8 by 47.5
and 280 as 5/8 by 52 3/8.
although when they have the oem number on them I think sometimes they say 5/8 as a nominal value. it may actually be .715. I had a mtd ipl that said varidrive belts were 5/8 and I think oem is actually wider than that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Actually there is quite a bit difference between the 18mm and 16mm belts. True 5/8 = .625. On the 18 vs 16 there is about a half inch difference at 48"- 48.5"so a 48" 5/8 would be a suitable replacement for a 48.5 46/64 (18MM) belt. This is something I understand and use to my advantage as I do upgrade of deck belts from 1/2 to 5/8 belt every once a while. I recently did my own Yard Machines 42" deck to 5/8 since I had installed a 21hp engine on it and the punity 1/2 couldn't handle the increased torque. I smoked it after cutting 5 acres of foot tall grass. I actually need one tad longer than what I got it but I can live with the one on it; just got engage the deck while it is up and out of the heavy grass or it throw the belt even with the belt retainers in place.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm

I tried putting a murray deck on a yardman tractor. murray deck used 5/8 but yardman was 1/2. I broke the engine pulley with the 5/8. luckily I found a correct deck for the yardman and was able to weld the pulley.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:03 pm

I dunno. There are just times when you need the right belts and OEM belts go on. Do this business long enough and find out what works well for what and what wastes your time. Even at that, to save 10$ and put a belt on that is less than - I think you are better marking the OEMs up. People would expect you to anyways. Though many applications aftermarket belts do well too. Your MTD/ HOP distributor may have a decent trade dealer program with good enough pricing on belts. It sounds like you have everything tubbed up and marked. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/ can help locate what they really are.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm

hanz63 wrote: It sounds like you have everything tubbed up and marked.

Yes I use bin system for all my parts. Its sure help when you got a couple thousand plus different parts. But that doesn't work if I forget to enter the bin location info in my Automanger software as I put away the parts and I have forgot a few times; it is a real pain to figure out where I might have put the item. I might add here that the plastic tubs with lids keeps the mice out.

I just miss out on a sale of a 1/2 x 134 because the one I had was 133 instead what it should have been. At least I didn't waste my time trying to install it thanks to the belt checker.

All this is muted now as I will be checking every belt as they come in from now on, especially any that will be for later use. I just wrote off the first 36 belts ($325) today and I still got the larger tub of 5/8 belts to go through.

I did run into a few that were over the 130 that tool can't currently measure but I got a second extender ordered to get me to 160. I got one 5/8 out there that is 148" but it is a Stens belt so it should be right (I hope).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:03 pm

What a dog's breakfast. Sold a MTD rider to a friend and he needs drive belt. IPL shows 754-0349 but no size info. My AM supplier shows as 1/2 x 79 1/8. Parts tree say .312 x 79.1 so length matches but not width. I happen to have a 754-04207 from my AM and it shows the same 1/2 x 79 1/8 but other sources 1/2 by 78.9 or 79 1/2. My other concern is that the same 754-0349 is shown as part number for the lower deck belt on the 46" deck option. Coincidence or MTD IPL mess up? I'll find out when he tries that belt I've already got.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Okay MTD has 754-0349 spec'd at 1/2 x 79.1 A 1/2 x 79" works fine.

MTD has 754-04207 spec'd at 1/2 x 78.9. Stens has there AM OEM spec'd belt as 1/2 x 79-1/2. Sunbelt has it at 1/2 x 79-1/2 Poly - Drive belt.

Looks like it is pot luck on which works.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm

and model is White 13ad616g... but manual only has that hand written . Printed is L170H (which is on the mower). I have found columbia 13ag616g... and belt for it is 754-04165 coming out as 1/2 x 78. And that's what I finally got for a friend's Toro made by MTD and being model 13ax61r.... I'm really thinking that 0349 is not the drive belt. I'm going to see if I bought a 349 last summer when I got this unit running.
update:looks like I bought the 349 at same time as I bought a deck drive belt for same mower. And for that belt the IPL had conflicting information. I'm thinking I'll order the shorter belt for him this time and see if it fits ok.
Another update:I found another partstree ipl showing 0349 as drive belt. When I click more details it lists models it fits. On some it's the quick reference and when I do that I see it always as the 46" deck spindle belt.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm

AND it's not just belts and bolts.
I spent 2 hours (3.5 hours to get back to square one) on what should be a straight forward no brainer project changing out a speedometer cable assembly on a GM vec using a aftermarket cable replacement from NAPA that did not work at all. The old cable assembly was working but noisy.

After it did not work I went to looking at the sealed packaging close and this replacement cable assembly was labeled MADE IN JAPAN-Assembled in Tiawan. :o OH my, heads up time ;)

I got to comparing the clone cable to the OEM and I could see the drive cable was too short inside the cable housing on the replacement assembly.

Lubed the OEM cable and re-installed. 3.5 hour job not completed as planned due to poor quality control. :x :oops: :(

Have to keep a heads up on everything now days.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 am

How true that you got to be extra careful when ordering parts when for out trusted vendors. I personally have gotten burned several times in the last year. It is one of the reasons I had to quit my aftermarket belt supplier; having throw out $1000 in bad belts is not fun and expensive to replace with the correct ones. I no longer trust any of suppliers to send belt as they spec them which is why I measure every one of he new belts as they come in the door.

Can't buy any those AM carbs or other parts off eBay as many are wrong. It got to a point now that I don't know if I can even trust the OEM replacement parts to be right as they are constantly superseding parts, like Briggs superseding a Walbro carburetor with a Ruixing carburetor.

I kinda looking forward to retirement in 6 - 8 yrs down the road because this fight to repair things right is getting old fast. I spent over two hours Monday just the get the right Oregon AM BNC order for a Stihl MS290. Most vendors only had it in semi chisel, or just had the chain or the bar but not both. I finally just ordered the bar and chain separately from Power Distributors. I ended up paying 40% more in shc but I save enough on the bar to just the extra shipping plus I got the bar I was needing.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum