• Advertisement

Engine Crane finally got a real lifting job to do.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Engine Crane finally got a real lifting job to do.

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Boy I was getting tired of being laughed at for using a 2 ton engine crane for small engine work. To me it is a real back saver especially when I got lower back problems.

Today I really need it to move around a 1992 10KW Craftsman generator. The customer's friend brought it in with a tractor with lifting forks.; No wheels just a pallet attached. There is however plenty of dirt dubber nests in it. Said it been sitting for at least least ten years.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Engine Crane finally got a real lifting job to do.

Postby Luffydog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Have a habor freight crane in my shop will easily pick up and move what I need to lift and then some. Chain big mowers up lift them up to change the drive belts and to also lift motors out. You can't hardly beat them once u use them. I don't have anything negative to say about them only wished I had the bigger one just in case of the need came Along the smaller one will do for now might upgrade later if needed. Back hasn't been hurting as bad since I can get them up higher. :D
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 am

mine is a 3 ton. Only drawback is that it does not fold up. It takes up a lot of squire feet when not in use. :lol:

Travis
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 am

You can always get one of those hanging tree chairs and use the crane as a shop chair. :lol:

But being reduce the foot is important here. At the ATV jack lets me remove the lift bar so I can either put it down one aisle with the folded crane. Still in the way sometimes but at I don't need to climb over them all the time. I will make a dolly for ATV jack as it not moveable when sitting upright.

I should be able to test the generator this afternoon just digging out all the dirt first after I get the Cat 66DX40G1 rebuilt. It a pain to get the oil seals out without damaging the brass rods. I going to see if I can make puller this time. I got an idea in mind but haven't tried it yet anything would be better than what Advance try selling me that broke the first time I use on a Briggs 310000 PTO side seal and that was a rubber coating seal which are easier to get out.

Update: The puller I made work very well so I am on the right track for my own seal pullers. No more trying screws and damaging shafts. Yes I could have disassemble the drive assembly and drove the seals out but why do it for simple seal replacement.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum