• Advertisement

Gas cap...how do they vent?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Gas cap...how do they vent?

Postby dart451 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 am

Hello again,

I accidentally found my fuel problem on a Craftsman high wheel trimmer. I was about to throw on a new carburetor when I noticed that...when I disconnected the fuel line, NO GAS came out of it! I hadn't noticed this the first time I removed and cleaned the carburetor because I pinched off the fuel line prior to disconnecting it. To my surprise, when I started to unscrew the fuel cap, the fuel started flowing! I knew it has a full tank! So, my question is this...how do these caps vent the fuel? I did push the little aluminum inner cap up and down but still it wouldn't allow fuel to flow until I unscrewed the cap a little. I found another cap on my junk lawnmowers and it worked just fine. I just can't figure out how one fixes this issue with the original cap!?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Gas cap...how do they vent?

Postby creia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 am

Great question dart and I have wondered the same thing! We have a fuel cap very similar to yours on the fuel tank of our 1974 Heald Super Bronc off-road bike. Ours is working/venting fine as we have never had a problem with it. On the vintage engines (1960s-1970s) we typically work on they always have the visible holes in the fuel cap. I could not find any holes on this cap, however.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:29 pm

And here is the answer. Two 1/16" - 3/32" bleed grooves allows air bleeding thru the cap threading. Seal goes bad when overtighten and closes these vents due being crushed. Probably why Briggs has switch to a clutching cap.
And you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you KE4AVB! I knew you'd come to the rescue! lol
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum