• Advertisement

Garden Way 10646 Trail Blazer

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Garden Way 10646 Trail Blazer

Postby StarTech » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:54 am

With the break-up Garden Way who be be handling the Trail Blazers? This one is is somewhere between 9/85 and 1989 as the engine date code make it a 1988. Needing to look at the IPL.
StarTech

Advertisement

Re: Garden Way 10646 Trail Blazer

Postby bgsengine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

MTD does - but are you sure of that model number? theres a couple parts lists for trailblazer but nothing with that model 10646 although MTD has a part number GW-10646 for a decal in one of those parts lists, so perhaps you're looking at the decal part number ?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:52 am

Could be decal number as after you mention it I went back out look over the unit and there is separate model tag if you can it that as it is one of the worst possible places for tag. The model on it completely beaten away. So if you give a starting point I see if I can narrow it down. I am not thinking I am to part for sickle part of unit but who knows what someone else has done to it. I do know it will need engine work on the Briggs but those are there.

I did find a couple other models and it looks like most of the parts are as expected NLA.

When it came in I inform it may not be repairable due to parts availability. Thing are just not as repairable as they were once was. Too many bankrupts and buyouts.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:17 am

Starfire One wrote:Could be decal number as after you mention it I went back out look over the unit and there is separate model tag if you can it that as it is one of the worst possible places for tag. The model on it completely beaten away. So if you give a starting point I see if I can narrow it down. I am not thinking I am to part for sickle part of unit but who knows what someone else has done to it. I do know it will need engine work on the Briggs but those are there.

I did find a couple other models and it looks like most of the parts are as expected NLA.

When it came in I inform it may not be repairable due to parts availability. Thing are just not as repairable as they were once was. Too many bankrupts and buyouts.
Yeah I only came up with the data with a google search on Trailblazer or trail blazer by Garden way and found a manual at MTD but it made no mention of a model number. most of the old Garden Way machines were actually identified by their model NAME and the serial number break for production year.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:54 pm

garden way built troybilt didn't it? I have a 92 troybilt walk behind sicle mower. would to check my home files to see if I found ipl for it. oops just reread that yours is trailing not walk behind
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Here is a little history on GardenWay, Tory-bilt and MTD that be of interest.
The reason it is often difficult to find parts for Troy-Bilt and Bolens equipment manufactured prior to 2000 is that following the bankruptcy of Garden Way Inc. of Troy, N.Y - owner of the Troy-Bilt and Bolens brands - several of the lines were broken up, purchased by different companies and in some cases completely abandoned. It is a complicated string of events. In 1988, Bolens was purchased by GardenWay; then in 1993, GardenWay purchased Troy-Bilt. The company manufactured very durable, sturdy equipment but eventually filed for bankruptcy, was broken up and the parts were sold off. MTD Products Inc (Modern Tool and Die Company) acquired Garden Way in 2001. According to their company history page, "The MTD family of brands includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold." The MTD purchase included the Troy-Bilt and Bolens brands but did not include the debris lines (chipping, shredding, vacuuming and/or debris related equipment). These assets were purchased by Murray Inc. in January of 2002. Finally, Briggs and Stratton Power Products purchased Murray which subsequently included the Garden Way Inc. debris equipment. So, if you own a Troy-Bilt chipper from the mid 1990's, what few replacement parts you can find will be through Briggs and Stratton and will generally have MA following the original part number. For example, 1902808 becomes 1902808MA.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 am

this interesting document refers to a trailblazer sickle mower
web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/TROY-BILT-MASTER-SERVICE-BOOK.pdf
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum