• Advertisement

briggs 775 ex

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

briggs 775 ex

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 pm

this is extension of thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2531&start=10
First off, although the label says 775 EX , I found the model number and it's
111P02-0110-F1
and according to this link it's a professional series
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en ... gines.html
pick specs for professional series 775 and it's the same model number.
I looked at same type of link for EX series and found no 775 and engine looked different.
The service manual may then be 19-279000.
I also downloaded operator and parts manuals from Briggs site.
So far I've only confirmed that the oil is likely over full as manual says screw in dipstick for checking. Neighbour says it hasn't been changed since hardly used.I found no evidence of any fuel in cylinder. Plug is gapped at .020 which is correct according to manual. Manual says that there is a drain plug for the oil. The choke is automatic , controlled by a thermostat heated by muffler. The carburator main jet is the bolt nut. I removed air filter and shot in some carb cleaner. It fires up and then stops. Next step will be to pull the bowl nut/jet and hope I see it clogged up. Not sure when. Wife made me clean eavestroughs today and my hockey starts tomorrow. Haven't played since last February. My prostate had me finishing the season 6 weeks early.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: briggs 775 ex

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 pm

38racing - what is the question ?
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:38racing - what is the question ?

None , just stating what I've done progress wise since I posted in the last thread. In it I was pointed to a different service manual.
And I did notice that my model type is 0011 , not 0110 as I said above.
However operator manual is the same.
If you need a question, I guess I could ask why Briggs stuff is so confusing or maybe why columbia or Briggs labels are misleading.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 am

Yes you found the correct service manual unless you would like the Japanese version (279000JA). The is also couple related documents you may want to look at. They are APSI 67 and SB61. Neither of which I had upload my to my drive but will after I post this. They will be under the Briggs/Advance Product Service Info.

Also APSI 98 would be related too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 pm

So I had to suck the oil out as any drain plug was covered by the self propelled belt cover. spec says oil capacity is .54 to .59 L. I sucked out .75 L and it did not appear to have any gas in it. I refilled to spec and dipstick reads full. I also sucked most of the gas out so tipping it back I was able to install a shutoff valve. I then dropped the carb bowl. The fuel residue seemed to have some small 'gel' pieces. My first shot of carb cleaner into the bowl nut/jet holes went clear through. I opened the shutoff and let remainder of fuel just drain through the carb. I replaced the bowl , added fresh non ethanol fuel and it started on the second pull. Let it run a bit and then shut down. Waited 10 minutes and it restarted on the first pull. I'm thinking bad gas. Either by his brother or when he refilled when it was returned.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue May 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Well found this mower back in my yard this morning. After fixing it last year it pretty well sat in his driveway as he has a robot mower doing most of his grass cutting. Without speaking to him I did notice the fuel shutoff that I'd installed was closed. Figured maybe he forgot about it. I opened it and mower started right up. I cut a couple of passes along my drive and it stopped, like out of fuel. It would start again so I left it running. Ran fine for 5 minutes but if I took it to cut grass it would stop. Loosened gas cap, no change. Before attacking fuel I checked plug. It was gapped at .020 and I forgot that was correct spec and gapped to .030. No change. Will have to gap back to 20. So put it on the lift to check fuel. Quickly found it was not flowing well out of the shutoff but fine into shutoff. New shutoff has good flow. I could have blown compress air into the old valve but I cut it apart. Some sort of loose piece in it. I was thinking of removing and flushing tank but can't figure out how to remove. I pulled the one bolt and it's the only one showing in the ipl but tank seem stuck on something. And speaking of IPLs. MTD has several different one for the same model number. Of 2 parts IPLs both show it having an MTD engine 4P90 when it actually has a B&S. Normally I put filter after shutoff. Maybe in this case I should put one before. That's if there's room in the line for both.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 pm

saga continues. I dropped mower at his place after replacing shutoff. I thought that I had left valve turned on. next day it's back in my driveway but i noticed that the fuel was shutoff. I opened it. it started and i cut a bunch of grass. took it back to him and was able to talk to him. he's clueless to the shutoff so we agreed that he wouldn't touch it. been a month I think and day before yesterday I look up from the echo and he's leaning on a mower.said he been there 10 minutes lol. said it was working fine but took it to his daughter's and no number of pulls would get any fire. I showed him a shutoff and told him if it was in the open position then bring it back. got home later and there it was. valve was open. I tried a bunch of pulls and no start. I removed air cleaner and gave a shot of carb cleaner. started but stopped. 2nd try same thing. 3rd try it kept. running fine. i cut a bunch of grass again. stopped and restarted many time on one pull. have let it sit and I had several restarts on first pull. my suspicion is still some debris in the fuel that blocks flow. As I said before the ipl shows 1 bolt holding tank but when removed tank still won't come free. anyone know how to remove tank ? 775 ex Briggs. just a thought. I've been shutting fuel off between tests. maybe I'll leave it open prior to next test.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I think there is one bolt under the engine shroud.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am

I was telling dealer friend who sold this mower to neighbour. He laughly asked if it needed a blow job. he's the one who had the kohler on the Columbia zero turn that would only start if you blew into gas tank. he sent that to his other shop and then retired without following up on what was the problem with it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Well it's back in my yard again. He says it won't start. I verified that fuel comes out of the shutoff ok. I removed air filter. A shot of carb cleaner and it starts and stops. On third or fourth try it stays running. Concerned about dirt getting into air intake I replaced air filter. It won't start. I spray some carb cleaner on surface of filter and it starts and stays running. If I release control lever it begins to shutdown but restarts if I pull lever back to run before it stops. If I let it stop and try to start with pull cord it will not start. Although I added a lot of fresh gas I will drain it empty and refill with fresh. Maybe bad gas isn't vapourizing at low volume? Maybe it needs the blowjob that I mentioned previously lol. Could it be an intake valve issue? As I said before this unit is hardly used.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum