• Advertisement

Kohler Courage hard start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Kohler Courage hard start

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 am

hanz63 wrote:There KE4AVB goes again, actually using the service manual. Good deal. It's like I'd get a digital paper cut...

Hanz, Haven't you heard the saying "When all else fails read the manual". Now I heard said different a few times over the years.

As being inside one these bucket engines I haven't yet and I have seen quite few in the shop. I did learn that you got to slightly mis-adjust the static governor adjustment on some that won't stop surging. This compensate for wear on the governor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 pm

The governor trick is a new one to me. The last one I opened was for a destroyed governor, which may have had help. The manual was of little help in that case regarding placement of the governor pieces on the shaft. These aren't real bad to work on other that the fact it is tough to clean the mating surfaces carefully and in a timely manner. Anytime you made up by not needing to RnR the engine is lost there. He said bucket engine.... :lol:
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am

is this the engine known for bolts between halves becoming loose? if so, is it a big job to routinely check and retorque?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes, these are the ones that the bolts come loose. As far as difficulty, that depends. As a part of normal PM with the shroud off, they all get a 10mm wrench on the front 5 bolts. You used to see them back out up towards the flywheel, not so many of these are around anymore. These are gems that cracked the block. If the block is OK, the flywheel should really be pulled, the holes cleaned and blown out the reassembled w/ red locktite. If they are just not tight and assuming the holes are clean, to loosen the bolts and dribble some red locktite in and retighten is at least a step forward. Depends on who's paying the bill...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Must not be the same red Loctite I have. When I use the activator you will not get the bolts back out. I opt for the blue when using the activator. I had to quit using the red per Cat instruction because of it. The pump valve caps were setting so quickly that I couldn't even get them torqued down before setup. Even my Aircat rounded off the hexes of the caps.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Kohler tells you to use blue and re torque the bolts as needed. It's in my service school notes somewhere I'm sure. (Once again with service manual phobia here) I say anything that tries to shake itself apart gets red. I suppose that I should have spelled that out. It's fatal if it doesn't hold. I don't know how many have dealt with the Briggs single Inteks that tried that (' 94 ish vintages I think) . When I was foolish enough to try and reseal those, only red stood a chance. Like now with the twins when they supply the bolts with that nice slippery gasket with some form of red loctite on them. Chase the threads, clean, lock, chant... The red coated bolts will come out of the aluminum if needed.
I happened to think too that there is an old bulletin or SS note on these hunting which was a balancing act between the governed idle screw on the bracket and the base idle screw at the throttle plate. Was that what you were referring to?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Ron » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Cam assy finally came in. Put it in, adjusted valves again and cranked over engine with plug in, and it cranked over fine. Went over tractor to see what else needed replaced, both belts, two broken springs, tie rod etc. Figured I better make sure this thing ran good before I invested my time and the customers money in everything else. Engine started, and wanted to stall, had to add choke a few times to keep it running. Ran fine about 30 seconds and was about to shut it down because I didn't have valve cover on yet and then boom! Something busted inside, oil running out a hole in the bottom. It's shot now, don't have a clue what happened. Only thing I changed was the exhaust cam assembly and that was pretty straight forward. :bricks: Pulled engine off tractor and hole looks to be where cam shaft fits in bottom of block. Didn't open it up yet, pretty disgusted. :evil:
Ron
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Best I can remember these engines a famous for the crankshaft coming apart and going Thur the block. Possibly the counter weight been awhile since I worked on one but it's something to that nature of memory is thinking right other than food. But I could be wrong about that. Thinking that's why they call them the self destructing engines or the bucket.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:30 am

Like to hear what you find that happen too. I have work several these engines but have never been inside one yet but it sounds like some kind of assembly error.

As for being called bucket engines it is because they are upside when compare to other verticals. They actually resemble a bucket when the closure plate is off. The main failures that I have heard of when they first came out was the cylinder breaking away from the crankcase. Kohler has since re-enforce that area but everyone should still make the closure plate screw are tight upon servicing these engines.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 am

Ive seen what luffy talks about - courage with the counterweight falling apart and shredding the engine - not quite as common as the jug breaking off the bucket but not uncommon either. engine looked otherwise pristine - clean, well oiled, but just happened to have a large hole in the block from the counterweight exploding.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum