• Advertisement

Kohler Courage hard start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Courage hard start

Postby Ron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Kohler Courage SV590 Spec 3220 date 3--8-2013
Adjusted valves--no help Turned over engine by hand and watched valves working and observed after both valves closed exhaust valve bumped open a little so I am assuming ACR is working. When the exhaust valve opened a little i applied air via leak down tester and i could here air coming through muffler. . Read where if engine gets overheated valve guide may have pushed out causing valve not to open properly. How much should the guide be sticking out? Intake and exhaust seem to be sticking out the same amount. I'm not opposed to opening up closure plate to inspect acr but this is for a customer and I don't want to if i don't have to.
Ron
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Courage hard start

Postby Luffydog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Check the oil for gas. Valves in. .005 ex. .007
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm

They r famous for heads going bad. Sorry I got in a hurry and hit submit before I was ready to.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Ron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Luffydog wrote:They r famous for heads going bad.

I know, but i also had a few that the acr broke, too.
Ron
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm

I would do the compression check and the leak down for a start
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

by hard start are you referring to slow cranking? Since you are concerned about ACR?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 am

I got a customer that has one these that is fairly that hard starting, just haven't got them to let me go in to find the problem. They are more worried about cutting their grass then letting me resolve the problem. I got the parts setting on the shelf awaiting it as it will show up again. I would to actual get to resolve one before giving any advice.

Depending the engine use could be problem with the ACR, its spring or cam itself. This is due how the ACR is designed. It may not staying locked at starting speeds. My reasoning here is that bottom of the ACR pivot is a slight catch to keep it locked as lifter but as lifter rides up on it, it could move out position due the valve spring pressure if this catch is worn. Just looking at setup here on an actual cam it looks like petty sloppy design to me, tons of play even on new components; they may using this so the whole ACR moves out as it rotates into run position.

Before going deeper into the engine try decreasing the exhaust clearance a couple thousandths and see if it starts spinning easier. If it does then it time to go in and do a visual inspection of Exhaust cam and ACR components for wear. Pay attention to bottom of the ACR area of the exhaust lobe.

Also while in there you might find that you have an older ACR setup which has been updated which includes a new lifter (cam follower) design. I posted a copy the info sheet under the Kohler Service Bulletins under Kohler Service Manuals in the download forum. They change the profile of the lifter (cam follower) to increase contact with the ACR was supposedly in October 2010 though. Please review and see if that helps any.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:07 am

Have you even done a voltage drop test? Bad grounds are rather common cause of the same problem. Appears the ACR would be working since the "bump" is mentioned so I would go back to the basics and do a voltage drop test first - Might be as simple as cleaning a battery ground connnection or tightening a loose bolt.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 am

Good thought. I forget to mention checking both positive and negative connections as I am prone to check these on auto pilot.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:54 pm

bgsengine wrote:Have you even done a voltage drop test? Bad grounds are rather common cause of the same problem. Appears the ACR would be working since the "bump" is mentioned so I would go back to the basics and do a voltage drop test first - Might be as simple as cleaning a battery ground connnection or tightening a loose bolt.

that's why I asked what OP meant by hard start.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum