• Advertisement

Kohler Courage hard start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Kohler Courage hard start

Postby bobodu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 am

Yep....hard start means something totally different to me than slow crank....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 am

Hard start—against compression stroke, typical valve adjustment or bad ACR. I guess I’ll have to start eliminating things. Don’t think it’s a ground issue but I will check that before I open it up to check ACR.
Ron
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 am

Ron wrote:Hard start—against compression stroke, typical valve adjustment or bad ACR. I guess I’ll have to start eliminating things. Don’t think it’s a ground issue but I will check that before I open it up to check ACR.

Quick and dirty check - jumper cables from battery negative post to engine ground. eliminate all the ground wiring and terminals. if it cranks better then, it's a ground problem.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Ron » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 am

Finally back in the garage, too many 16 hr. shifts on my job. :bricks: Anyhow, the exhaust valve guide is sticking out 9/16th's. Any idea if that is too far. No use opening up and checking the ACR if the guide is the problem.
Ron
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm

It sounds like it could be. As you would think, the exhaust guide is the more likely one to migrate here. You had mentioned earlier that the guides seemed comparable. Does a closer look show something different? The guide will come out to the point that it interferes with the opening of the valve and damaging a push rod and or head. So as you crank the engine, is the valve able to fully open? Does the lift seem comparable to the intake valve? You may have multiple issues. If your lash is set snug and the minimal bump from the ACR isn't enough to allow a crank, try inserting a feeler gauge in between the valve and rocker- to exaggerate the ACR action. If it cranks well, that could confirm several things and make you suspicious of an actual ACR issue. One would think a somewhat functional ACR is functioning, but hey- why be normal?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 am

Ron, Go to the download forum and under the Kohler service manuals download the SM for the single cylinder [Sv470-620] Courage engines. On page 54 is the info you need for measuring the valve height, Note the exhaust will stick out more than the intake. The SM measurements will appear backwards but this is due how the guides are measured. BTW the difference between two valve heights is 4mm; otherwords, the exhaust guide will be sticking out by 4mm than the intake guide.

This can be done if you have a way to pressurize the cylinder at TDC with the crankshaft locked in place where the valves are held close so you can remove the valve springs; otherwise, you would need to remove the head to do so.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Ron » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Ok, with an .020 feeler gauge between rocker and valve the engine turns over??? And, if I'm reading pg 54 correctly, item B guide depth should be 10.20. My measurement with a straight edge on face of head to valve guide is 6.60 give or take.
Ron
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Actually the exhaust guide should be 6.2mm so it has moved inwards toward the valve head so you should be still good there as .4ths is much at all. Just make sure your measuring the exhaust valve guide which sounds like you're doing. With the .020 feeler on the exhaust and it turning over better then it does sound there is problem with the ACR or cam.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Ron » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Opened up engine today. At first look ACR is intact and working. When I pulled cam gear assy. out, I noticed that the acr wobbled a bit in the cam gear. I don't think it is opening up the exhaust valve enough due to wear. New cam gear assy. on order.
Ron
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:58 pm

There KE4AVB goes again, actually using the service manual. Good deal. It's like I'd get a digital paper cut...
hanz63
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum