• Advertisement

GX200 CCcover stuck

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

GX200 CCcover stuck

Postby mulch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello All

I have a student with a GX200. We are in the middle of disassembly and we ran into an issue. The CCcover will not budge. I feel that the race is seized to the crank. The crank rotates but the cover will not move off. Yes all bolts are removed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
pat
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: GX200 CCcover stuck

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:31 pm

very thin, sharp putty knife with a "all the way through the handle" blade , or a thin edge planer knife (used) can sometimes be tapped (with a hammer) in carefully exactly on the gasket to get the gasket separation needed Best to start right at one of the cover locator pins so as to not excessively peen in an important gasket sealing surface but once you can get it started in just a bit you can then usually tap (with hammer, lightly) up and down from there all the way around the cover to get gasket separation - Those green gaskets really do not like to come unstuck from either surface - It needs a very thin blade but strong enough to take a little hammering razor blades are too brittle and easily broken (and too sharp) a typical wallboard putty knife is usually too thick - a thin flexible blade putty knife is usually just the ticket - Once you can get gasket separation all the way around, careful prying with a wide blade screwdriver may be needed to get the cover off the locating pins - just have to be very careful not to damage gasket surfaces.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby mulch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks bsgengine

We are actually past the gasket and guide pins. It is pulled away about 3/8", as far as the connecting rod will move laterally. We have been prying for some time and no more. This is why I think the inner race is seized on the crank. I cant figure out how to get in and pry on the race?

Ideas???????

Thanks
Pat
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

You may end up driving the crank and bearing out the cover. Find some wooden wedges to wedge cover open at its current position. Using a brass hammer and protective brass or aluminum placed on the crankshaft drive the crank back in and adjust the wedges as needed. From the ipl I don't see any bearing retaining rings so this should work. Just don't get too agressive and damage the cover or the crankshaft. Also remember you must pull the cover straight or the bearing will wedge itself in place.

Once out then you can pull the bearing with a bearing separator.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 am

Parting is such sweet sorrow.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby creia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Mulch,
Tell me more about this class? What is it and where is it given? Here in So Cal all the (public) school shop and small engine classes "closed shop" (no pun intended) permanently decades ago. Great to hear there are still some vocational classes offered in some parts of the world. I built my first minibike in metal shop in 1966. I am 64 years old now and STILL playing around with them and small engines with my 22 year old son who is a Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician (MST).
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Re: GX200 CCcover stuck: solved

Postby mulch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:00 pm

KE4AVB I got it with the help of a few (many) wood wedges. I kept increasing the size until if was far enough to pull by hand. Not sure why the crank "swelled" outside the bearing.

creia wrote:Mulch,
Tell me more about this class? What is it and where is it given? Here in So Cal all the (public) school shop and small engine classes "closed shop" (no pun intended) permanently decades ago. Great to hear there are still some vocational classes offered in some parts of the world. I built my first minibike in metal shop in 1966. I am 64 years old now and STILL playing around with them and small engines with my 22 year old son who is a Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician (MST).
Michael

Yes these classes are a thing of the past. I am a licensed High School Tech Ed teacher or "shop teacher" and I teach a small engine 1 class. Here is Minnesota we do still have many schools that have stuck to the traditional shop classes. My current school is one that is evolving and we have mix of traditional and engineering. I have a bit of both. But yes Michael there are some districts that have moved entirely away from the traditional. I do see a push to bring it back considering the manufacturing economy we are in but two hurdles are now created. Once it is gone it is expensive to bring it back and schools are looking for any way to cut costs. The biggest hurdle currently and even more so in the future is teachers to fill the classes. Many Tech Ed teachers are nearing retirement and we lack colleges to train new ones. Every year I see many jobs going unfilled and the result is the classes are not run and this is how it starts. Something must break since industry is demanding a quality workforce but schools will not jump in and get these kids started. Im curious to see how this turns out in 15 when Im up for retirement.

Pat
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Small engines and machinery repair classes probably ought to be integrated into the FFA Programs ( https://www.ffa.org/about/what-is-ffa ) Problem is in finding schools and instructors that will sponsor such programs within their school districts I guess
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Here they don't teach students to be real mechanics anymore just to be parts replacers. No more more thinking of possible ways of solving a problem; otherwords, thinking outside the box . Sorta like me working the Kawasaki Mule 2510 that I have been for the last month. From running into need for special tools and straightening bad wiring over the years it is a slow restore process.

Finally got it running to only find bad U-joints and couldn't slip off the front yoke from the front final drive. I had cut the spider out just to get the shaft out. Then yesterday since the yoke is rusted on solid I ended pulling the pinion and hub assembly. Can't remove differential due a frozen bolt which would require pulling the cab. Instead I pulled the four studs and rotated the pinion hub 90 degrees and it came out with a small fraction of inch to spare. I will be replacing the studs with regular screws. Then I was able to drive out the bearing cups.

Most today's techs would would simply ordered new driveshafts and pinion assy instead of actually repairing the old driveshafts. So it takes longer but on old equipment budgets can be tight.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:42 am

Now on the subject of high school trade courses. Here is my experience that I had trying to get into one.

My local high school was having a career day fair. I was interested in the electronics but the counselors were more interested in talking me out taking the classes than providing the courses. I insisted that was what I wanted training for. To date I still can not figure out why they were so against me taking the courses. I definitely needed the courses. I even sat in the electrical classes when I was caught on my electronic class work so I just add to my base knowledge.

Today's youth don't seems to understand that they are not handed a career without training though many employers are just looking bodies to fill vacancies instead of truly helping customers. I called one my vendors the other day for some product information and the guy on the phone couldn't give any info saying they only sell the parts and don't know anything about them. Boy what a great attitude about their company. It is a shame to say this but is only been getting worse over the years.

Last year I had a young diesel mechanic apprentice here that was trying to do small engine repairs [actually mower repairs] on the side. He was telling my customer that he knew all about them. Well the customer had me to come out and repair his mower deck after the young one messed it up. No understanding how things worked. He took a double stack pulley remove the inter working bearings, spacers, and the bearing to deck spacer, he put in 6 bearings, and bolted the pulley down. Without correct setup the pulley was severely binding on the deck which was causing it to burning up deck belts as quickly as you engage the deck.

Strange thing is that the customer tried three more times using that tech but after spending more on parts than he should have he finally just let me do the repairs now. I get a lot referrals from him too.

To work on lawn care equipment you got to be a mechanic, an electrician, and sometimes a machinist and an engineer. You can't work on one part only and ignore the rest. It also takes a lot of self training if you going to do the job well and earn your pay. Even at 58 I am still learning new things which is why I read a lot of service manuals when I get my hands on them. This is good thing as they are now starting to do fuel injection on these small engines.

Mulch have you ever just brought in a mower that was disassembled and put in several boxes for your students to put back together in working order. I have done several over the years where customer tried fixing their mower to only bring it to me in boxes. What a nightmare to do but is good training in a way. I had one customer I felt sorry and only charge $50 to put his mower back together for him to complain about being charged to doing it. I asked so you want me charge you for all my time? I no longer work on his equipment though he has tried a few times to get me to do the repairs. I don't do repairs when it is unappreciated.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum