• Advertisement

UV dye useage

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

UV dye useage

Postby Arkie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Never used it.

Need to get some uv dye and light for both automobile and small engine use.

Need to use some on my 4x4 truck that has several small leaks that are mixing together when they get under the vec, from for example the engine, auto transmission, and maybe a transfer case.

Is it safe for engine and auto Xmissions and does the oil have to be changed after it's added or ???

Need some clues?? Do's and don'ts, etc?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: UV dye useage

Postby bgsengine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:45 pm

OK there are 3 dyes I know of , one is for water/coolant , one for motor oil, gear oil, etc and there is a third type that works in transmission fluids and "wet clutch" applications (not that often used unless you have a special oil for something.) You will want a pair of UV blocking glasses (usually yellow/amber lenses) and a good UV light (they make a nice little DIY kit with a flashlight with special UV lense) Other than that just add the dye (careful not to spill any of get it on your hands or clothes unless you want to glow!) normally do not need to change oil after use as the dyes are formulated to mix well with the fluids they are intended for. The stuff can be hard to clean up - hence my caution to be careful when adding it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 pm

I use Interdynamics 374CS UV dye for oil and gas (For engine oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic and power steering fluids, and gasoline and diesel fuel systems) and no the fluid does not need to charge after the test which is good especially if you have a unit to come back after you fix the know leaks as secondary leaks are possible. A good example is the pressure washer I just got back in the repairing the engine bad oil leak which actually look like a main seal or crankcase gasket but was instead was a bad seal on the oil fill cap. A secondary small oil leak showed up in the pressure pump oil seal and I was to verify that it wasn't the engine.

Now in the case vehicle you should start with you main suspected source of the leak such as the engine. And beware that since you be operating the vehicle that the leaks all will blown toward the rear.

Now 374CS works best with a 365 nm UV light. The ones that comes in the Interdynamics kits doesn't work very well at all or at least that my experience with them. You would need near total darkness. Good news though as the Gardom 365 nm LED torch (flashlight) does work and are reasonable priced on Amazon. Search Amazon for item B06XY5QTRH. This light when used with the 14500 3.7 Li-ion 2300mAh rechargeable battery works very well even when used outdoors during the day. No need for UV enhancing glasses with the Gardom torch. The drawback I have with the Gardom is the high usage of battery power if used continuously. It is highly recommended getting the charger when ordering the batteries. Also available on Amazon.

If you are trying to find a coolant leak then you need get the UV dye that is for that system, the same if work with the AC system. These UV dyes are available through places like Advance Auto parts and O-Reilly's. If you plan on using these UV dyes on a small engine then you don't need to use the whole 1 oz just around 5ml per one to two quarts of oil.

If planned on using another brand of UV dye check the works best with UV nm spec as some are around 400 nm.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the UV info.

Now to keep the oil from dripping on my head and other body parts when laying under my old GM 4x4 hunting vec. I've heard rumor that deer can easily see UV. They will sure enough get the Deer in headlights look when they see the ghost appearing Vec or me going thru the woods. :o

Al Gore will be proud of me for trying to slow down the oil pollution leaks and also the vec's that turn on their windshield wipers thinking it's misting rain when following behind me going down the Hi-way on a Blue Bird day. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am

Hey KE4AVB- thanks for the info. This sure beats the big old light in the old shop that was the size of a Sanka can that was dropped and broken when you needed it.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am

KE4AVB:

When I looked at Amazon about the Gardom light Item number you suggested it indicates ONE AA battery required which would be 1.5 volts.

The re-chargeable battery you suggested is 3.7 volts.

Are you actually using the 3.7 volt li-ion bat in the Gardom light???
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Arkie wrote:KE4AVB:

When I looked at Amazon about the Gardom light Item number you suggested it indicates ONE AA battery required which would be 1.5 volts.

Yes, I am using the 14500 series battery in it and the two other led lights too. I just brought the 2300 mAh batteries as they have the longest life. There are some 14500s that have a shorter battery life for sell too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Arkie wrote:KE4AVB:

Yes, I am using the 14500 series battery in it and the two other led lights too. I just brought the 2300 mAh batteries as they have the longest life. There are some 14500s that have a shorter battery life for sell too.

Thanks and Later

All you people have a nice Xmas and new years. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum