• Advertisement

Pole Saws

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Pole Saws

Postby dennis » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pm

In the market for a gasoline-powered pole saw for pruning trees around the house and lot. Would like to be able to reach at least 13' from ground. Not for commericial use, but would rather have a good one than a cheap one....if you know what I mean. I know very little about them, only what I've read. Anyone have any experience with them, or recommendations?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Pole Saws

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:24 pm

The only experience I have with them is the Poulans and one Husqvarna 327P4. They work very well as long as you jeep the chain sharp like you would for a chainsaw. The Husqvarna was a little top heavy for me.

The only problems I have seen so far is fuel related issues; like carburetors and fuel lines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Having had to work on and service the Poulan versions in the past,and having had one Stihl in to work on, Ive got to say the Echo PowerPruners have the better construction Seems the PPT-266 would be the more suitable (but also a bit pricey) pole telescopes out to 146" overall length so about 12 Ft so can probably reach to 13-15-16 feet high On the other hand if you wanted to go Echo, You could also consider a PAS-266 power head then you can just get attachments and extensions to make other tools - Pole pruner attachment with 3 Ft extension gives you 11 Ft in length and the PAS can take many other attachments like the pro paddle and power broom , various trimmer or brushcutter attachments, hedge clipper,cultivator,and blower, and edgers and bed re-definer
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dennis » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for the good information.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 am

Kinda makes sense to me to get one as an attachment considering how little use a stand alone unit would get. No better way to have fuel problems than sitting around unused.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum