• Advertisement

Tecumseh Engine Snowblower Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh Engine Snowblower Problem

Postby bob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 am

Hi. I have a snowblower with a tecumseh HMSK100 with what seems like a carb problem. Starts good, idles good, and even at high speed works good but once you start to work it or even just engage auger it wants to stumble or run poorly. You can adjust high speed and get it back and then it will do it again. It seemed like a dirty carb which I cleaned, and today I swapped it out for a good carb and same problem. I have tried spraying carb cleaner around carb and gaskets looking for air leaks but does not make a difference. Any ideas? Could valves cause this problem. Definately an older engine. Thanks

Blair
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh Engine Snowblower Problem

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

Simple things: Try a new spark plug, properly gapped ,of the correct type (Recommend NGK BR-2LM if not available, Champion RJ19LM ) ALso check RPMs ( 3600) Valves can indeed cause that issue as well, as can failing bearings or lack of gearbox lubricant (excessive load) , if it is old enough to have points (doubtful with an HM100) ,could be points getting worn out, Could just be a tired engine (compression,burning oil?) ,could be a fuel quality issue, could be float level problem (swollen float needle seat lowers float level)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Tecumseh Engine Snowblower Problem

Postby RoyM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 pm

What beeg said. Does the auger gearbox have a oil fill/level plug? If so, remove it and have a peek at the teeth on the bronze bull gear, if they are chewed up you have found a problem. Loss of compression due to aleaking head gasket, a common problem, could also be the culprit.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum