• Advertisement

Engine bogs down at times

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Engine bogs down at times

Postby man00 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:00 am

I've notice while mowing if I lower the blades to say 2 1/2" the engine really bogs down even if the grass isn't so thick. Doesn't seem to have any issues going up a hill or anything like that. This is on a Kubota T1670 15hp ...other than that mower runs fine
thanks
man00

Advertisement

Re: Engine bogs down at times

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am

Good Morning, Good Friday Good Man

Moving the machine along the ground, up hill and down hill only takes about 10% to 15% of the engine's available power. Running the mower deck can take up to 90% of the engine's power depending on conditions. I would start by making sure the blades are sharp, installed the correct way up and the underside of the deck is clean. Next I'd check the condition of the spindle bearings, belt tensioner bearings and belt routing (the correct side of guides etc.). Polypropylene bale twine wrapped around the blade spindles can suck a lot of power from the system.

I believe these Kubota tractors run the Kawasaki engines. Check air filter (paper element must be completely dry), fuel filter, fuel flow to carburetor. What brand and grade of fuel are you using and how old is the fuel? I've seen flies in the fuel tank get sucked up into the pickup tube and choke off the fuel supply to the engine, shut unit down for 5 minutes, fly drops out of pickup tube and away the machine goes again. Start with these and let us know what you find.

All the best and happy Easter,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Actually it is a Kohler CV15; although, Kubota tries to hide it like John Deere does with the Kawasaki unique part numbers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby thomd51 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 am

everything mentioned before is correct , but one more important thing.........the mower blades must be tilted down in the front at least 1/4 inch....so as the mower moves forward only the tips of the blades contact the grass and cut . if their level the whole blade touches the grass and power is wasted .......if their tipped lower in the back the sides of the blades are trying to cut and you'll get chopped up grass and green juice............inflate the tires evenly....then on a flat surface observe the middle blade....there is always an adjustment in the deck lift linkage ..or in the draft links at the front of the deck.......happy-motoring .
thomd51
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum