• Advertisement

carb cleaning frustration

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: carb cleaning frustration

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 pm

so 'assume' stands for? engine is 196 cc clone so I ordered carb for gx200. doesn't fit. my engine greyhound 196cc lifan 66015 . now need to order proper carb. annoying on ebay that seller says in item section that it ships from CA USA. But on confirm purchase page it says shipping from Hong Kong. if I want from China another seller has it 8 bucks cheaper.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:34 am

On that HF generator have you looked around on the control panel to who may have made that Greyhound generator for HF?

I might be able to look on Generator Guru if we can figure who made it. So what I have for carburetor for is make by Auto Express and most of them are out of China where the generator was probably made.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 pm

not on generator. standalone. says lifan 66015 right on it. should have used that to look up carb in first place. china one quotes these numbers and bolt spacing matches.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:38 pm

carb finally arrived from china. I put it on and again it idles fine but cuts out if I open throttle. I decided to put in a new ngk plug. seemed a bit better. I adjusted the idle mixture for best rpm around 2000. I can get it up to 2900 -3000 but if I open throttle more the engine speed sounds like it's increasing but tach reads lower , like back to 2500-2600. it is a slow sampling hourmeter/tach on sparkplug lead. bit confused. think I might check valve clearance.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm

4th on the UC.

I use mostly Dawn and water (per KE4AVB recommendation) and some of the dirtier ones; Citrol and water. My hobby friend had a Honda mower with a dirty carb. He used spray carb cleaner and wires. would only barely idle. I took it home and ran it through the UC for two 8 min sessions, carb looked like new and when he put it back on the mower, ran like new. Guess who went to HF to purchase a UC the other day?? :lol:

Works on the plastic toro single stage snow blower carbs as well.
jwales
Guide

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:03 pm

just tried it again. full throttle surges with choke open and idle mixture change can't improve it. closed choke to a point and it smoothes out. any further on choke and it goes too rich. going to try with air cleaner on.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:16 am

Sounds like either you intake air leak or you need to re-jet the high speed jet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am

KE4AVB wrote:Sounds like either you intake air leak or you need to re-jet the high speed jet.

I'm thinking of trying the rejetting on the original carb as a first try. the intake gasket looks ok but I could try new one that came with carb. maybe I should check gasket on other side of spacer as well.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 am

38racing wrote:. maybe I should check gasket on other side of spacer as well.

GOOD idea. Reminds me of the honda I had in - it had been to 3 different shops before it showed up here, two brand new carburetors, several cleanings spark plugs, new ignition coil, new governor springs and linkages and still had a surge under load... all I had to do is replace the gaskets with the *CORRECT* (looked up using serial number, model on the recoil housing was wrong) gaskets (insulator, intake and air cleaner) and it was fixed. The non-OEM gaskets were "looks like it fits" kind of gaskets but the bores were too large by about 1/8 of an inch, and it had air leak. Then I put the first (OEM New) carburetor that had been replaced the first time back on it. has been running problem-free for 2 years. (the second aftermarket carburetor was a "will fit" but different jetting)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Looks like I left this thread hanging. Don't know what I did but engine now runs decent. Unfortunately the cement mixer project for it did not work out as mixer had wear issues. As per the ultrasonic cleaner I did get one and glad I did. I just repowered my leaf shredder with a tecumseh from a mower. Carb had heavy green residue. Once I cleaned it and replaced needle and seat and float it runs great.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum