• Advertisement

carb cleaning frustration

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: carb cleaning frustration

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 am

Well I was hanging on so long that I fell out of the tree and broke my wing as I was too tire to even flop my wings. :lol: I am on the mend with it all wrapped it up. The problem is I keep falling off my roosting spot and have to sleep on the ground for a while.

Good to here that you have join us that use these UCs. They make it much safer for you and the environment than the hazardous carburetor chemical cleaners.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 am

38racing wrote:Looks like I left this thread hanging. Don't know what I did but engine now runs decent. Unfortunately the cement mixer project for it did not work out as mixer had wear issues. As per the ultrasonic cleaner I did get one and glad I did. I just repowered my leaf shredder with a tecumseh from a mower. Carb had heavy green residue. Once I cleaned it and replaced needle and seat and float it runs great.

where did you buy the ultrasonic cleaner bud?im in the market for one as well. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 am

plotthound wrote:
38racing wrote:Looks like I left this thread hanging. Don't know what I did but engine now runs decent. Unfortunately the cement mixer project for it did not work out as mixer had wear issues. As per the ultrasonic cleaner I did get one and glad I did. I just repowered my leaf shredder with a tecumseh from a mower. Carb had heavy green residue. Once I cleaned it and replaced needle and seat and float it runs great.

where did you buy the ultrasonic cleaner bud?im in the market for one as well. :mrgreen:

Amazon.ca. I expect you have better choice/price in US.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AXE ... UTF8&psc=1
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:47 am

plotthound- Where are you located? (Your profile does not state). If you are in the USA you can pick up the one in the link 38racing posted at your local Harbor Freight. We bought ours on sale for $ 70.00. I've seen them still go on sale for that amount or you can use a 20% coupon and still get it pretty cheap. That was 8 years ago and it is still working great. I should state that my son and I are only garage engine mechanics/hacks, so the ultrasonic does not get THAT much use. If you are a production or otherwise professional service shop, you might need a higher quality commercial-duty unit. Don't purchase the "cleaner" (powder) that HF sells, however- it is crap. It might be fine for jewelry, but no go for carbs. Our first reaction after using it for the first time on some REALLY gunked up 40 year old Tecumseh carbs was "Why didn't we wait so long to get one of these?!"
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 am

If anyone on doing anything bigger than the cube carbs I highly recommend not wasting your time with the 2.5 as most will barely fit. Personally I use a larger 10L unit (I actually got 2 as one is a backup). I try and use a 6L unit but found it wound not allow me to completely submerge some carburetors that I work on resulting me having to reposition them several time during the cleaning process.

Either way do your research on the tank dimensions that fits your needs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am

unfortunately im in Ontario canukistan and we don't have harbour freight. :twisted:
plotthound
Guide

Postby creia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:45 pm

KE4AVB wrote:If anyone on doing anything bigger than the cube carbs I highly recommend not wasting your time with the 2.5 as most will barely fit. Personally I use a larger 10L unit (I actually got 2 as one is a backup). I try and use a 6L unit but found it wound not allow me to completely submerge some carburetors that I work on resulting me having to reposition them several time during the cleaning process.
Either way do your research on the tank dimensions that fits your needs.

KE4AVB is correct, however, I have found that with flipping/rotating the carb position a couple of times you can still get the larger carbs clean. Anybody remember the (larger) old Briggs 5 HP "Pulsa-Jets" with the long pick up tubes? We are able to clean those in the HF ultrasonic by rotating them from side to side.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 pm

plotthound wrote:unfortunately im in Ontario canukistan and we don't have harbour freight. :twisted:

the amazon.ca was slightly cheaper than the ebay.ca one that ships from BC.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum