• Advertisement

carb cleaning frustration

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

carb cleaning frustration

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

I know that shops are now mostly replacing carbs rather than serving. It's a bit different for me as a hobbyist. That plastic briggs one was worth saving my friend $70+. Same friend had given me a gx200 clone a while back. I had it running but had no use at the time and then stupidly left it sitting with old gas. Even the tank was all gummed up. now I have an application for it. Tank is cleaned and I would swear the carb is clean but it just won't run, unless pretty much fully choked. As it surges you can see fuel spurts stop and start out of the main jet. I've had it apart several times. I can spray cleaner through every port/hole I can find. Some of these carbs have an adjustment needle for the air bleed through the idle circuit. Mine has the brass screw but no head on it, like it was put in and then head ground off to sort of a point. I could dremel a slot into maybe. With the pilot jet installed I get full spray from the air bleed at choke to the 4 small idle holes and the hole with brass non adjustable tip. Main jet and emulsion tube all clean. I'm leaning towards damaged o-rings on the pilot jet (it too passes spray fine) maybe resulting in the air bleed not drawing fuel up through the idle circuit. At this point it mute as o-rings are now toast. Of course they are non standard and new jet for me would be more than price of the AM carb I've ordered. A note on the AM carbs. I ordered one that seller quoted OEM number matching one for the ipl of a gx200. I see many for sale that say they replace gx160 and gx200. Wouldn't the carb be jetted different for the extra 1 hp?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: carb cleaning frustration

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:20 am

Depends on the shop. I don't replace many carbs but it may just be me. Of is times the prices are too close to rebuild one or as one of my current projects the dang customer super glue one together.

What was this carburetor on make and model of the engine. Yes I understand you said it is a clone but sometimes I can find IPLs even on them and a parts source.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm

How are you cleaning your carbs? If you are not using an ultrasonic you should be. My son and I are small engine "hobbyists" as well, restoring engines that are usually 40-50 years old (talk about a dirty carb!), and have not run for many years. Purchasing an ultrasonic about 8 years ago was one of the best decisions we ever made.They are VERY affordable- we bought the HF larger heated model for less than $ 50.00 with a 20% coupon. My point is that we were able to get old carbs working again (especially Tecumseh) using the ultrasonic that we could not get working by "traditional" cleaning methods (sprays, soaks, etc.). Sure, you still have to probe and spray orifices, but the ultrasonic loosens the crud up first.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:09 pm

2nd on the UC. I have however graduated from the 2.5L unit to a 6L and now I got 2 10L as I can no longer be without one. The main reason for the upgrades was the need for more more room for larger carburetors and the fact that I needed longer unattended cleaning times. Current unit goes for 30 min at a pass

And as Creia said you still need to help the UC sometimes as the ultrasonics just can't get a grip on some items until they are roughen up but was the with the dip cleaners I used too. At you don't need overnight soaks either that I would forget about and the carburetors had turned black. I just destroy a WYG carburetor in my UC but it was not the UC fault but was the nut that glued it together.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 pm

3rd on the UC.

and you really have to keep a heads up when replacing the Honda clone carbs, close is no cigar. I've found the clone carbs dirt cheap on flea bay, but the clone carb bowl will usually rust internally with-in a year even on non-ethanol gas. frustration again :o
Just another China thing.

On some replacement Honda clone carbs you have to transfer the old choke mechanism to the replacement clone carb etc.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Elader » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

creia wrote:How are you cleaning your carbs? If you are not using an ultrasonic you should be. My son and I are small engine "hobbyists" as well, restoring engines that are usually 40-50 years old (talk about a dirty carb!), and have not run for many years. Purchasing an ultrasonic about 8 years ago was one of the best decisions we ever made.They are VERY affordable- we bought the HF larger heated model for less than $ 50.00 with a 20% coupon. My point is that we were able to get old carbs working again (especially Tecumseh) using the ultrasonic that we could not get working by "traditional" cleaning methods (sprays, soaks, etc.). Sure, you still have to probe and spray orifices, but the ultrasonic loosens the crud up first.
Michael

Didn't thought those ultrasonics are giving great results.
Elader

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 am

Elader wrote:Didn't thought those ultrasonics are giving great results.

Actually they are very good at doing the job. It just that users expectations are little high and expect perfection in the cleaning process. When compared to nasty hazardous chemical laden dip cleaner they win hands down in both cleaning and operator safety when used properly. With UC you actually can get to reuse some of the paper and rubber gaskets as it not hurt them since you are only using soap and water normally.

I would not had spent 400 usd on the two I brought last year if they didn't work so well.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:14 am

not valuing my time I put stock o-rings on the jet and filed them until the jet fit. no change. the fix idle screw cannot be removed unless I try drilling it out. checking flow again I'm not sure 1 of the 4 idle holes is flowing and its the one in front the closed throttle plate. going to do same flow check on new carb.
As for UC it's birthday time and my daughter was asking what I want. I said nothing but maybe I'll upgrade to an Amazon gift card and use toward a UC. Of course the 50 US one is over 100 here in Canada.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Elader » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Elader wrote:Didn't thought those ultrasonics are giving great results.

Actually they are very good at doing the job. It just that users expectations are little high and expect perfection in the cleaning process. When compared to nasty hazardous chemical laden dip cleaner they win hands down in both cleaning and operator safety when used properly. With UC you actually can get to reuse some of the paper and rubber gaskets as it not hurt them since you are only using soap and water normally.

I would not had spent 400 usd on the two I brought last year if they didn't work so well.

Guess I should invest in one. We'll just finish the installation of the new rack and tonneau cover for the kayak mount on the truck and I'll start collecting some good tools.
Elader

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:23 am

Advertising link removed....
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum