• Advertisement

kohler coil problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: kohler coil problem

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 am

Hi 38

Now you have a coil with a short length of HV wire on it. If the coil is still good, here's what I do. Take a crimp on non insulated butt connector for 14-16 gage wire, a length of new 7mm HV wire, some 1/8" x 1/4" fuel line (Tygon works just fine) and shrink tube to fit over fuel line and the ferrule on the coil. Strip the end of your new HV line and connect to existing wire, melt solder into connector and cut new HV wire to length. Cut a length of the fuel line equal to the distance between the coil and the end of the insulation on the new HV wire. Slit the fuel line and slip over bare wire. Slide the shrink tubing onto the new HV wire and slide down to the coil so it covers the ferrule and shrink into place. Attach spark plug cap to end of HV wire and you're good to go.

If you want, you can use 2 different widths of shrink tube, one to cover the wire and fuel line, the other to cover the ferrule and the smaller shrink tubing. This operation can be done without the solder, I just feel it gives a failure proof join. The 1/8: x 1/4" fuel line works to replace the missing insulation and the shrink tubing holds everything together. If you're really fussy, silicone sealant can be applied to the slit and both ends of the fuel line before installing shrink tubing. Hope this gives you some ideas with which to work.

All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 pm

You got to finish digging out the lead. As I said some are harder to get than others but will come for replacement. That one may thread onto a screw inside the area.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 pm

38racing wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Sorry I never have been able open these files. Can you translated it to gif or bmp image. Some of us are South of the border and can't access this location.

actually not opening on my lap either but did on my phone. Likely because I dropped the file type of jpg. Try this.
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/kohler-coil.jpg

Now that did the trick. See how dumb my computer is.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 pm

new coil has it running again. parked for summer but might trying repairing the old coil for testing in the fall.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am

A little more encouragement. Here is an old Briggs coil that I replacing the high tension lead on this week. A little more difficult as it was back when glues worked well but it is ready for the new lead.
The so-called rubber cement that I tried using over the weekend to put inner tube patches that didn't stick the patches on. So afraid a dope head is going to sniff the glue. Heck let them at it as they are now spraying insecticide on paper, rolling it up, and smoking it. We can't fix stupid... I just don't know why they do it. Even my baby brother got into huffing propane that is why he is 6 ft under now.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Got a 10 year old Murray push mower at our dumpster. 9 series briggs. Same situation. No spark with plug but spark with tester grounded. Going to try new plug and then swap the coil.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 am

It always something isn't it?

Just replaced the HV lead on a 30 USD 31P coil due mice damage. Actually chewed through the wire; not just the insulation. Strange through as the customer drove the mower to my shop to have a low tire repaired. Just want some air to finished before I install an inner tube. He went to start the mower back up and it would not hit a lick. Pulled the shroud and found two dead mice and one juicy one along with the mouse bed.

Looks like those open barrel crimper that I brought last year is paying off.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm

So new plug was not the answer on the push mower. I pulled another engine from the shed and after removing the coil I noticed that PO had cut off the plug wire. So I pulled another engine from shed and took it's coil. Here's the funny part. Original coil measured infinite ohms plug wire to lamination. I actually dug out cutoff wire from first replacement coil down to the centre point. It measures 2500 ohms from point to lamination. I probably should add new wire and test it while I still have the mower. I tested the 2nd replacement coil and it too measured infinite ohms plug wire to lamination. I installed it anyway. The mower has spark and starts and runs fine.
Another puzzling thing is that I downloaded the manual. It covers push and self propelled models. My unit is push only with a 10t.... engine. The manual shows that engine to be on the self propelled and a 12....series on the push only.
I wonder why the bigger motor would be on the push rather than self propelled or maybe manual has it backwards.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 am

I might be able to explain what might be going here as I just ran across a CV12.5 that had no fire. Kinda had a good reason though as the mice had completely chewed the lead in two; even good portion the cooling fan is gone. Even lead trimmed I was still getting several megohms resistance. This is due the use of carbon fiber lead instead on a stranded wire. The coil itself reads good and when lead itself is tested it reads good. Also since most of our DVMMs only use fraction of the 9 vdc for testing it have readings off due to the carbon fibers not conducting as well at the very low voltage.

I replacing the lead anyways as it is now too short to use.

Edit added customer costs info New coil 60.91 vs Repair 4.37. If course there labor involved but is figured into the overall labor as there is still lots other work to done on this 1990 rider.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum