• Advertisement

Cross Reference for Blade Adapters: John Deere to Generic

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Cross Reference for Blade Adapters: John Deere to Generic

Postby Seakaye12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello.....

I have a John Deere 14SB with a bad blade brake clutch. I have been told that I can eliminate the BBC and use a John Deere blade adapter P/N M114679 as my Kawasaki engine has a 7/8" crank.

Are there generic equivalents to this blade adapter. John Deere parts seem terribly expensive.

I've looked for a cross-reference to Oregon or Arnold or whatever with no success. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Chuck
Seakaye12

Advertisement

Re: Cross Reference for Blade Adapters: John Deere to Gener

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Depends...How much blade drop do you need and does the Kawasaki have a 5/32" key way? Of course you need to find a matching blade to mount.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 pm

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi Chuck

This adapter does work on a 14SB, I've done it for a friend. Just be very aware that by replacing the clutch with this adapter, you will override the safety system the clutch offers and there is no emergency stop for the blade. If this is your own machine, it's your choice. If you're planning to sell, lend or give this machine to someone else, DONT DO IT!! This adapter, expensive though it is, is your best bet as the blade designed by John Deere for that mower deck will still fit and work properly. You will also need to get special washer P/N M111784 and blade bolt P/N 19H2959 or a 3/8" x 2" grade 8 fine thread bolt
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am

As Skywatcher said there are liability issues removing safety devices as it is the same on disabling safety switches which is why I don't it here I even reinstate most of them before the mowers leave the shop.

Now for the adapter specs here an image of the blade side of the adapter. You need to use the blade specs for a blade to fit it.
Here is the blade specs info:

• L 20-7/8 "
  • CH 29/32 "
  • W 2-5/8 "
  • C2C 3-11/16 "
Most of the other adapters I was looking at have C2C holes of 2-1/2" so a new blade is needed to use them would also be required and most their blades are 21"
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:35 am

KE4AVB wrote:Depends...How much blade drop do you need and does the Kawasaki have a 5/32" key way? Of course you need to find a matching blade to mount.

Well I was hoping that if I could find a cross-reference chart....then it would be easy to find a less expensive one that would match up spec-wise. I would end up with what John Deere sold as the commercial version....14SC or 14ST; they had no BBC when sold.

I typically work on outboards; not mowers....and in the marine industry there are generic suppliers that have cross-references.....plug in a OEM part number and if there's a generic equivalent it shows up. That's what I am hoping to find.

From what I can determine so far.....the original blade will fit; I just need the correct washer and bolt.

Arnold or Oregon or Stens? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Chuck
Seakaye12

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 pm

What you're now finding out somethings are proprietary even in the small engine business and patents or proprietary have yet to expire. I even ran into a Kawasaki in tank fuel filter last year that only John Deere has the rights to sell even though I had the Kawasaki part number for it.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm

KE4AVB wrote:What you're now finding out somethings are proprietary even in the small engine business and patents or proprietary have yet to expire. I even ran into a Kawasaki in tank fuel filter last year that only John Deere has the rights to sell even though I had the Kawasaki part number for it.

Ha; just as you posted that I happened to be on e-bay and noticed this disclaimer posted on one of the JD Dealers who choose to sell on the bay:

"We cannot sell parts and accessories to any person or business that is engaged in selling used equipment, repairing or providing maintenance services on equipment, or a person or business that is primarily engaged in renting equipment to end users. We reserve the right to cancel the sale of any item to anyone who is not the end user of the product."

Yikes I say! Is John Deere out there by themselves with such restrictions or is this typical in that market as a whole?
Seakaye12

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I never had a problem with my local JD dealer and they definitely know that I am repairing equipment made by John Deere. I even do repairs to equipment under warranty but they only provide the warrantied parts and the labor on my end is billed directly to the customer. I do however need to a letter along with the defective with explaination of what is wrong with the part so they can replace it.

I do however would like to know which JD dealer this is as I have purchased thru Greenfarmparts online for several years now. It does sound like one that being a royal pain as they want all the repair business for themselves. My local dealer has more than work just working on the larger farm equipment and their tech are not very good on the smaller lawn care equipment. They actually refer some repairs my way at times when they are overloaded on work.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Seakaye12 wrote:Ha; just as you posted that I happened to be on e-bay and noticed this disclaimer posted on one of the JD Dealers who choose to sell on the bay:

"We cannot sell parts and accessories to any person or business that is engaged in selling used equipment, repairing or providing maintenance services on equipment, or a person or business that is primarily engaged in renting equipment to end users. We reserve the right to cancel the sale of any item to anyone who is not the end user of the product."

Yikes I say! Is John Deere out there by themselves with such restrictions or is this typical in that market as a whole?

Go ahead and buy from them any way - they cancel orders and get enough defects, eBay will suspend them. such a disclaimer means nothing on eBay or Amazon , and indeed probably would be enough to get them suspended outright. (by eBay or Amazon)

Stihl has even tighter restrictions - Stihl dealers are not allowed to even sell parts online at all, (including eBay or Amazon) - so any genuine OEM Stihl parts you might find are either 1) being sold in violation of that , or 2) discounted by dealer to someone else that then sells them online, or 3) stolen, counterfeited, or closeouts... (Most often from what I have seen, they are grey market or counterfeited, or simply labeled as OEM when they are actually aftermarket.. Stihl also has a huge problem with knock-off chainsaws and stuff (they look just like a real Stihl down to the colors and artwork, with one tiny difference in spelling..)

If a Stihl dealer is caught selling that stuff online, they lose their franchise. Oddly enough, the #2 (Husqvarna) has no such restrictions at all , and on a recent long road trip down to the middle of the state, It's like Husqvarna dealers are sprouting like weeds everywhere you look - hardware stores, dollar stores, I even saw one place on the drive that looked like a restaurant with a showroom off to the side, selling Husqvarna..

Much like Echo and Shindaiwa dealers are not permitted to sell serialized units online (though Home Depot evidently has a special exception from that) many other manufacturers have similar restrictions and clauses you must agree to when you become a dealer.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum