• Advertisement

Kawasaki Heads

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki Heads

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Don't just love it when a company list complete heads when they are only complete with valve guide and valve seats? It my first time to replace a pair heads on a Kawasaki v-twin to only find that I quoted out what was to be complete heads to only find that they are not so the estimate is off by $60 as I need one valve and 4 valve stems seals.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki Heads

Postby hanz63 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 pm

One of Kohler's better ideas too. They"re so close, make it plug and play for a few bucks more!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 am

I just wish they just give us notes that indicates a complete head is not what we techs would consider complete especially when it the first time to quote and order the heads. Those of us that have in past order these know what to expect but a new tech may not know this. This is what happen to me as it was the first time I needed to a pair Kawasaki heads so I am spending extra time transferring and ordering replacement parts for a job that if it was a Briggs everything would be there.

Just venting a little my frustration as it as has been a big couple weeks with me getting damage new parts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Did the same thing back some years ago. I just had 2 heads 2 head gaskets 4 valves and 4 seals cam and sump gasket pto seal and the governor seal as well. Yeah I knew that they didn't come complete. Ke4avb have you seen the 31hp with six valves yet?
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Not yet...I am still waiting for those FI engines to start showing up. I know there are out there just on what I have been servicing to date. It going to be fun to work 3 valve per cylinder just as it is for 4 valve per engines with two spark plugs per cylinder.

Luffy if you got a model number I could do some reading ahead of the time as see if I need to looking at any new tools. Darn there goes those words again "New Tools". Of course that means a new toolboxes too. Oh well I got a brithday coming up so I got another excuse to buy myself a present. :lol:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat May 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I'll get you some numbers and post them. They have two intake valves and one exhaust and they work off of one arm and just held in by pins that slide out. They get chattery and loud and hear about the people complaining about it. I have had some of them bolts to back out and cause racket but this one was all right just making noise. Kinda sounds like a kohler loud and like Briggs with loose valves. Can tell the difference in the sound just doesn't sound like a normal ka. I think it was a 950fx but I will post them up monday
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat May 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Just thought of it FX921V
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Pulled the SM. Doesn't look too bad to work on though each valve must be adjusted with screw setup similar to the Briggs.

I figured out why the two heads broken the rocker arm pins on the xhaust rockers on the FS600V. Instead of using Loctite they used RTV to secure the rocker retaining bolts. Going back with Loctite 242 along the accelerator. The accelerator is basically a cleaning agent and also works with the RTVs.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 pm

They not to bad. Not real sure of the governor in it if it's like the one with the plastic cup and balls. Have you seen the new kohler with the big ole head with two plugs your way? How about the newest kohler single? Ks590-3016 that ka does have the same governor set up. Sorry didn't mean to get off topic.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 05, 2018 8:51 pm

IPL on the FX921 shows it the 6 ball governor.

And on the Kohler not yet. You how some us small don't things until after the warranty periods start expiring.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum