• Advertisement

Fuel Tank Foam Replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fuel Tank Foam Replacement

Postby dennis » Thu May 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I have a Briggs & Stratton Mod 135212, Type 0006-02, Code 93090907, 5HP engine on a go cart. The anti-slosh foam in the tank is rotten. Does anyone know if there is a replacement foam (part#) specific to this model that is available? I did not see one in the IPL for this engine. If not, what else can be used?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fuel Tank Foam Replacement

Postby creia » Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Is it really and truly even NEEDED? My son and I have refurbished dozens of the old 1960s-1970s Briggs 3-5 HP flatheads with the old "Pulsa-Jet" carbs mounted on top of the tanks used on our minibikes and go-karts. Not one of these tanks ever came with any type of anti-sloshing foam in the tank that I am aware of and they all performed just fine.
Please forgive my ignorance :oops: as I have never heard of such a thing before...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Briggs did make that style of tank and it was a pita. As it will be almost impossible to clean the rotted foam out best to find another tank.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu May 10, 2018 8:08 pm

If the foam is indeed "rotten" and (I assume) disinegrating, the immediate concern to me would be that crap getting into the fuel system , clogging up the carb and sigificantly effecting performance. Can you just remove what is left of the foam and flush out the tank real good? Again, I wonder how much it was REALLY ever needed at all in the first place... :?:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi Dennis

Once the foam in these tanks has started going rotten, there's nothing you can do except get it all out. Remove the carb and ensure the tank is empty. Drop a 3 foot (1 metre) length of light chain in the tank and install the fuel cap. Now shake the heck out of the tank to break the foam into a powder and blow the dust out with compressed air. Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby dennis » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks for the comments.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sat May 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Bought a tiller for $40 today in Facebook....foam filled tank......time to get out the ACID!!!
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bobodu » Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 am

30 minutes in an 80% solution of muratic Muriatic acid to water cleaned up the tank nicely.
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 am

Since the Muriatic acid comes different strength levels what was the starting strength before dilution? Also does flash rusts afterwards as I have seen when I tried it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 am

I dunno what the strength is....can't be too great for an off the shelf product..and flash rust sure beats rust by the tablespoon !!! :lol: :lol:
One of these days I'm gonna try the electrolysis tank.
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum