• Advertisement

5 hp briggs needed choke

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

5 hp briggs needed choke

Postby 38racing » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 pm

A friend has a 130292-3220 91... on a rear tine tiller. It ran fine last year when I replaced a tine seal. This spring he said it only runs if put gas into carb. I realized after bringing it home that it has adjustable high speed. I opened it up a bit but no change. It needed almost full choke. I changed the pump diaphragm . Old one was the plastic type. I replaced with rubber. After priming with carb cleaner it started and was running fine. I adjusted needle . About the usual 1 1/2 turns out. IIRC I did a couple stops and restarts. Then, while still running, I added some of my homebrew 'seafoam'. I let in run for at least a few minutes, maybe even longer. Then I shut it off. Later when I tried to restart it went back to original state, needing choke to run. Figuring it had old gas and maybe IODeed on amount of homebrew I added (although it had run with out even adding choke) I sucked all fuel out of tank and filled with fresh gas. No change. I removed the carb. There was fuel in well so I believe new pump was still ok. The screen in large pickup tube is clean as passes fuel spray. This carb had fixed jet in bottom of pickup tower. So I decided to test out my new ultrasonic cleaner. Used mix of water and dish soap. Ran heated for 480 seconds , twice. Then once non heated. No idea how long I should have done it. ready to re-install but had to order a tank gasket. I was wondering if there should be a screen over the pickup tower. I've seen them on some push mower carbs. There was none on this carb and the IPL does not show one
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: 5 hp briggs needed choke

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 pm

What condition is the tank as these tends to get rusty causing problems. Everytime one of these comes I expect problems cleaning them.

Yes there should be a screen but I many coming without them. One problem with the screens is the way they are made and they can plug easily too.

As for what it sounds like is that the internal passages of the tower may have trash in it. I had a few that I had to drilled the ball plug(s) to clean them out as the ultrasonics and the old drip cleaner could not get into the area until I did so. This passage lead from the nozzle 90 degrees and then goes parallel to the tower up to the mixture screw (sometimes fixed jet) crossover passage on these carbs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am

Just talked to his father who was using it. It started for him and ran fine from shed to garden and one pass of the garden. Makes sense that crap getting up and then settling. I'm going to clean up the reservoir as best as possible. There were no signs of the ethanol sludge.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

After you cleaned it in the ultrasonic, did you blow/spray out all passages and orifices real good with carb cleaner? If not, that COULD be your problem right there. All of that crud (including the water and dishsoap) that the ultrasonic loosened and dislodged just sits in there otherwise.I know that others here have had success using dish soap, Simple Green, Pine Sol, etc. in their ultrasonics. I prefer to use a cleaning solution specifically MADE for cleaning carbs. I get mine from Design Technology, Inc. (DTI).
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed May 16, 2018 6:08 pm

i did spray after. I haven't reinstalled it. all the problems were before the cleaning. I was wondering if spray nine would be a good solution for the ultrasonic.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Stupid me again. Little story. Father wanting to use this tiller had brought me a 79 tiller last year with mouse consumed sparkplug wire. I replaced the coil and hauled it back to him. Before I could unload he directed me to keep it. It runs great so I jokingly offered it for his use while I fixed his son's. Instead I lent him a rear tine unit which is now on loan to another friend. So I needed to till my small garden and pulled out the old 79. Discovered his juried pull chord handle has come off last fall. I had to pull shroud and designers require that motor be lifted to get lower shroud bolts back in. ugh. So it fires right up but 5 minutes into it it stops and no restart. Just left it. Puzzled by it I was just giving it some thought. It did the exact same thing after the coil replace. Ran and then no start and I recalled the cause. I had pinched the kill wire where it exited shroud. Sure enough, I did it again. So off with the shroud again. Ground out a spot for wire. Started right up. Now it just needs new belts. No model number on it, sold as Mastercraft brand by Canadian tire. Google actually found me a picture of similar one on auction which gave Gilson model number. Further googling (will I go blind) found me a copy of the manual.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum