• Advertisement

High Octane in Briggs/Stratton

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

High Octane in Briggs/Stratton

Postby dennis » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

I have a number of pieces of equipment powered by B&S engines....log splitter, twin cylinder riding mower, walk behind mower, etc.. The manuals say use regular gasoline. I contacted B&S, and when I asked them if I could use premium or high octane, they said use regular, but would not give a reason. My obvious concern is the ethanol in our gasoline. I would like to know what you folks think, and what your experience has been using high octane in B&S engines. Can using the high octane cause any problems?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: High Octane in Briggs/Stratton

Postby 38racing » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am

Is it B&S or BS? Just about every push mower for sale now with even Briggs engines I expect says to use premium fuel. My guess has always been because it is 5% ethanol and regular is 10%. I was reading a manual for an old kohler engine recently on a cub cadet 129 and it called for octane in the 90s. So regular of 87 would not be recommended.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm

My son and I have used only "regular" (87 octane/10% ethanol) gasoline in ALL of our small engines for over 10 years now with ZERO problems. That being said, we also ALWAYS use "Sta-Bil" brand fuel additive in our gasoline. We get very good performance and have never experienced any of the problems that others on this forum have claimed to have- maybe we were just lucky?!
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum