• Advertisement

JD GT 235 CLUTCH/PTO

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD GT 235 CLUTCH/PTO

Postby Stingerrig » Wed May 30, 2018 5:49 pm

My deck would not engage while in forward after having reversed. After some "tire kicking" I replaced the PTO switch (it was cheap). The deck still wouldn't engage. I gambled and replaced the Clutch and the deck won't engage. Is there a fuse related to the PTO. I looked for obvious wire damage and found none. Any ideas? I am trying to fix it myself but it looks like I may need to get in line at the lawnmower shop. Thanks Ed
Stingerrig

Advertisement

Re: JD GT 235 CLUTCH/PTO

Postby 38racing » Wed May 30, 2018 8:39 pm

first thing would be to try and find a wiring schematic. Most mowers now use relays and switches to control safety features. Some have them to prevent or allow cutting in reverse. Can you currently run the PTO while in reverse but not forward? Maybe it thinks you are still in reverse due to a bad relay or switch or connection and therefore won't run the PTO.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 pm

I would think that the plunger switch that senses reverse could be the culprit or maybe just jammed up with grass. These are usually at the the back mounted on the transaxle next to the hydro pedal linkage.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Stingerrig » Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks for the input. 1: The deck wouldn't engage in reverse either 2: sadly an electric schematic would be "Greek" to me. 3:As you suggested I bypassed the reverse plunger switch and No Change. I'm pulling my hair out.
Stingerrig

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 am

Do you know how to use volt/ohm meter?

On that reverse switch I am thinking that should an open circuit except when it is depressed so bypassing by jumping it only makes the mower think it is in reverse.

You need to determine if the PTO electric coil is still good or not and that electrical power is getting to it. These electric PTOs normally draw up to 7 amps at 14.5 vdc which make the resistance between 1.5 ohms to 3 ohms depending the manufacture. If less then 1.5 ohms then the coil is at least partially shorted. Note these PTO clutches can still operate drawing as much as 20 plus amps but burn up the electrical system as it designed for no more 7 amps current draw.

I just gave the bad news to a JD 737 owner this news as his PTO electrical connector are melted and the PTO is blowing 20 amp fuses. On the subject of fuses the GT235 only has two fuses one for the starter/main electrical system and one for the headlights per the owners manual.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 am

as mentioned there are 2 ways to bypass a switch. one is to kwave circuit open by keeping the wires apart. on sme sears units just taking the connector off does not do that as connector closes internal. the other is to close the circuit by joining the wires or putting a jumper between tabs of the connector.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Okay here are components in involved in the normal and RIO PTO operation.

• Fuse F3 (15A)
  • Ignition relay
  • PTO relay
  • RIO relay
  • RIO unlatch relay
  • Reverse switch supplies 12Vdc when not in reverse to active the RIO unlatch relay and the PTO relay.
  • When PTO is pull into RIO it activates the RIO relay once the mower return to neutral or forward the the reverse switch activates the RIO unlatch relay unlatching RIO relay.
  • Also both the ignition relay and PTO both must operate in order for power to be supplied to the PTO.
All above are on the Ignition Interlock Circuit Board except the Reverse switch and the PTO switch.

Hopefully this clears things up to muddy water.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Stingerrig » Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 pm

FYI I have unconditionally surrendered. The clutch beat me. I took the mower to a John Deere dealer for repair. I'll post the verdict.
Stingerrig

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:06 am

Stingerrig wrote:FYI I have unconditionally surrendered. The clutch beat me. I took the mower to a John Deere dealer for repair. I'll post the verdict.

Then basically I wasted my time and funds obtaining the SM so we could help you then.

BTW the local JD dealer just went to $100 / hr for their labor rate so you are definitely going to have a much lighter wallet.

For those members that was trying to help I have assembled a copy the schematic for GT235 extracted from the service manual 4 pages. The image is 2642 x 852. Available via PM only since it is copyrighted and don't need to be in the public domain.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Stingerrig » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 am

UPDATE. As it turns out the Deere Dealer identified and replaced the key module...all is good. Thanks.
Stingerrig

Return to Technical Discussion Forum