• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Tank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Tank

Postby dennis » Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm

I just bought a new Briggs & Stratton fuel tank (694315). The carburetor mounts on this tank. My question is, should it have come with the holes for the carburetor mounting screws pre-tapped?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs & Stratton Fuel Tank

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 31, 2018 2:47 pm

The screw are self tapping which why they send you new screws.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks. I just plain missed that in the instructions. Seems to me if it were pre-tapped, you wouldn't have to worry about getting metal in the tank when you used the self-tapping screws.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:14 am

Sorry for the late response as I had keyboard failure. Saying they are self tapping was a general description. They are actually thread forming type and don't actually cut new threads but form threads by raising threads though the process of pressure.

It is like saying a thread chaser tap is the same as a thread cutting tap. Two similar looking items but with two different purposes. As threading forming screws they are the same as thread forming taps and dies. They raise the threads, a process we all have seen the results of if you ever use those screws with captive washers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for the explanation.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum