• Advertisement

plugs for honda gx200 and it's clones

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

plugs for honda gx200 and it's clones

Postby 38racing » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I was looking for the right plug for a Champion 196cc clone which has a serial number but I could see no model number.I did find a 196cc Champion clone IPL (different air cleaner) and it listed B6ES,B7ES, or B8ES depending on operating conditions (6,7,8 being the possible heat ranges needed) . Another Champion model just says BR6ES in one section but the parts list says NHSP LD F6RTC.I know the R just means it is a resistor plug. What I have found is Honda says NGK BPR6ES or equivalent for the GX200. Based on NGK site the P means extended insulator tip. What difference does the extended insulator tip make? My aftermarket supplier is showing 4 candidate plugs crossing to BP5ES,BPR6ES,BPR5ES, BP6ES AND B8ES . I'm leaning toward the BP6ES .
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: plugs for honda gx200 and it's clones

Postby bgsengine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 pm

F6RTC = NGK BPR6ES

Possible spark plugs for torch F6RTC:

Autolite 63
Denso W20EXR-U
Denso IW20
Denso VW20
NGK BPR6ES

See http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com ... orch/F6RTC
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 pm

bgsengine wrote:F6RTC = NGK BPR6ES

Autolite 63
Denso W20EXR-U
Denso IW20
Denso VW20
NGK BPR6ES

See http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/torch/F6RTC

so confusion is understandable when my supplier list for BPR6ES has Denso W20ETR-S yet for BP6ES it has W20EX-U , the latter being consistent with what you have in the R version. And what about the P versus non P for those engines?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:44 am

38racing wrote:
bgsengine wrote:F6RTC = NGK BPR6ES

Autolite 63
Denso W20EXR-U
Denso IW20
Denso VW20
NGK BPR6ES

See http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com ... orch/F6RTC

so confusion is understandable when my supplier list for BPR6ES has Denso W20ETR-S yet for BP6ES it has W20EX-U , the latter being consistent with what you have in the R version. And what about the P versus non P for those engines?

"P" is extended tip - the insulator nose (and ground electrode) extend out from the threaded portion of the plug, commonly used where the combustion chamber is "dome" shaped - it sticks your spark a little further out than a non-P plug will, it can have a noticeable impact on engine performance and fuel efficiency, so it pays to use the correct plug.

The thing about supplier and spark plug cross references is - not all plugs are the same. For example, NGK makes FR4, BCPR5ES and BKR5E - all three of those plugs, according to Champion, cross reference to RC12YC.. However, if you reverse that and look up RC12YC in NGK book, it cross references only to BKR5E or FR4

Any of the 3 plugs can work in applications where you want a RC12YC (Common on Briggs & Kohler OHV) and depending on your needs, and experimentation of the engine's use and loading, you can move up or down in heat range a notch or two - gives you some "wiggle room" if you really understand the interaction of spark plug on engine performance and want to tweak the most possible power and performance from your engine for a specific application. Important thing is getting the heat range "close" to what it should be, and using the right thread, reach, and extended nose (or not) plug so you get the spark in the right place within the combustion chamber.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum