• Advertisement

Brain teaser

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Brain teaser

Postby BLES » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:09 am

Walker mower with Kohler Command 20.
CH20 spec:64660

Starts and runs ok. But, especially under load (mowing), when tilted to the right on a sidehill, it immediately starts to smoke black and run very poorly. Turn around or drive onto level and it smooths right out and speeds up again.

Obviously a fuel problem, but can't imagine what. Hope to check it out tomorrow. Any guesses what I'm going to find?? ;) :D

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Brain teaser

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:33 am

Probably a problem with the float on that Keihin One-Barrel carburetor. May be set too high, it fuel laiden, or warped. This just a guess as I only seen a couple of these carbs in the last 5 yrs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 am

Everything seems good. Only thing I see that is suspect, is the float level. Usually floats sit about level or parallel to the carb surface when upside down with needle seated. This one is tipped much farther down, which would be a float setting that is too high. Makes sense, except that its a plastic float that's not really adjustable like the old brass ones. Hmmm. Going to see if I can find a photo of another one to verify float height. Canadian retail shows float about $125 so don't really just want to try another one for kicks! :)
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:23 pm

If it is 2457502S you would bend the area circle provide the follow pic is correct and matches your float.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm

I was just out testing when you replied.
That's exactly what I tried... just kind of bent it to what "looked right" to my eye. Reassembled and tested. Works fine again. I'm puzzled how the float "moved" over a couple of years. It was working well and has gradually got worse over time.
Anyway, seems good again now.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum