• Advertisement

Honda model numbers

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda model numbers

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm

I have a Honda walk-behind mower that just came to me yesterday. I seem to be a magnet for equipment with "bad" model numbers. Model HRR2169KA, Serial MZCG-9218334. Engine is a GCV160 MY1, serial GJARA-5131015. Hard to look up parts when your numbers aren't in the parts lookup databases. This happens to me way too often, especially with Honda stuff. Where am I going wrong?
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Honda model numbers

Postby NO0C » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm

First of all, your mower model number doesn't appear to be in the correct format. I believe it has been mentioned that engines on Honda mowers are proprietary and cannot be looked up in an engine parts manual.

Take a look at this:

http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment ... hrr/hrr216

If you already have, I'm sorry for posting.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Mr Mower Man wrote:I have a Honda walk-behind mower that just came to me yesterday. I seem to be a magnet for equipment with "bad" model numbers. Model HRR2169KA, Serial MZCG-9218334. Engine is a GCV160 MY1, serial GJARA-5131015. Hard to look up parts when your numbers aren't in the parts lookup databases. This happens to me way too often, especially with Honda stuff. Where am I going wrong?

Yeah as already noted - Honda branded equipment falls under "Honda Power Equipment" (HPE) which is a totally different dealership from Honda Engines (there's also Honda Powersports and Honda Automobiles) - HPE units use engines whose parts must be looked up using the equipment model and serial number, engine model and serial won't be found under Honda Engines parts lookups.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:56 am

What you have is actual a HRR2169K9 With auto choke, fixed speed with flywheel brake, made for the USA market.

You need to do model decoding most times. And code back for the parts lookup Example IPL number HRR216K9 PKAA. I don't why but the IPLs are needing two AA instead one A for the USA market designation. Also serial number is use to narrow the IPLs to final version.

Here is a link to the decoder.
Honda lawn mower model number decoder
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 am

That's some interesting information OM KE4AVB.

He might also have something other than a 'P', for example if it's a self-propelled model.

I'm glad my new Honda mower was shipped and tagged with a legitimate model number (HRX217K5 VKAA - MAGA2745921)

The model number decodes to exactly what it is. Honda Rotary, Versamow, 21", GCV190, K5 Version, Variable Drive, Auto Choke, Fixed Throttle with Engine Brake.

I'm curious if you have a link to that information about decoding?

Thanks for the input, 73.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Now NO0c just because I am turning 59 next week you can leave the old man comment off. I have earn every one of my grey hairs and still have most of it.

As for the link the previous linked item is what I got currently.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 pm

My apologies. At 59, you're still wet behind the ears. I wish I had hair on the top. :D

I find it interesting that Honda labeled that mower in the fashion they did, really incomplete and I can see where it would leave one guessing.

Always something to learn. Thanks for helping that process take place. Now if I can just remember it.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I had one co-worker that had a full head of hair one year and the next had only facial hair. I didn't even recognized him at our annual meeting.

I think sometimes they are just intentionally make it hard on the non dealers.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum