• Advertisement

Hydrolocked trimmer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hydrolocked trimmer?

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am

Toro with rotary style carb. After last use it hung horizontally in normal position with fuel tank down. Today I refilled it but I can't get a good pull. Same feel as sil's pushmower that was hydrolocked. Also think a bit of fuel exited muffler. Is it possible that pressure buildup in tank forced fuel into cylinder after last use? I don't have a sparkplug wrench with me where its located to clear the cylinder. Sort of related I just replaced fuel line on a leaf blower. It has a vertical tank and the the fuel seems to churn up on high speed. Back pressure?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Hydrolocked trimmer?

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 pm

If a two cycle would normally fill the crankcase even if the fuel was able to make into the engine. Now the 4 cycle version are more regular 4 cycle engine we normally and it is a slim chance it could flood the cylinder. Either way the check valves and needle valve should fuel from leaking into the engine. I do know the metering diaphragm when stiffen from age will allow the fuel to pass the needle valve at less than normal pressurize tank pressures.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Hydrolocked trimmer?

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm

it is a 2 cycle. as I suspected there was fuel in the cylinder which I poured/pumped out with piston. I should have paid more attention as it didn't appear to be the bluish colour of the fuel. I don't recall that trimmer was exposed to any rain when I last used it. after clearing it I got it started and trimmed for about 30 minutes. when done I removed fuel cap to relieve any pressure and trimmer is sitting tank down carb up.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum