• Advertisement

Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning Solution Recommendations

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning Solution Recommendations

Postby steamin53 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 am

I need to clean some aluminum outboard motor carbs and wish to use my new ultrasonic cleaner. I have seen widely ranging recommendations for the choice of cleaning solution all which have controversial comments associated with them.

I need a recommendation for a solution from someone that is based on personal experience with marine carbs.
steamin53

Advertisement

Re: Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning Solution Recommendations

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Probably for starters the DTI 202 carburetor cleaning would be best. The closest I have come to a marine (salt water) carburetor is a fresh water carburetor on the Evinrude and Briggs outboard motors. But these carburetors should still be the same any other carburetor as for cleaning solutions.

Personally I clean all the carburetors here for the mowers, handhelds, and ATVs with a 12.5 PH non residual soap or Dawn Ultra dish soap. Just depends if I am going to use the carb right away or have it sitting a week or so before installation.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:24 pm

What are the "controversial comments" you have read?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

You know like soap leaves a bad taste in your mouth once the dirty words are washed away. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 pm

I just use 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water in my ultrasonic. (and use the ultrasonics heater)

If it's a carb that is going to be stored as a spare after rebuilding I inject ATF fluid into the carb bowl and use two zip loc bags for storage. ATF will eventually get through one plastic bag.

I've rebuilt and stored stored several carbs for over 10 years and they are ready to go when removed from the plastic bags.
The ATF keeps the aluminum and all gaskets ready to go, no corrosion, etc. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:58 am

Personally I use the Alconox Alcojet 12.5 pH soap (200:1 dilution) for most cleaning now but if the heavy oils are present then I use the Dawn for it ability to break up grease and to suspense it for removal. I get 4 lbs for $34 including shipping I usually only go through one box per year. This is with me using two tablespoons per 10 liters and with up to one or two changes due to dirty solution per cleaning.

Using the vinegar dilution provides a slightly acidic solution which removes the white corrosion and brightens the metal as it remove oxidation but the above does basically the same except in an base (alkaline) formula. Both breaks iconic bonds of the unwanted items from the metal. It is just that soap provides a better suspension of the undesired contaminants so it can be easily drained away.

Either way pre-cleaning of the loose exterior contaminants is desirable as allows better cleaning as the solution is not as dirty. These extra contaminants actually impede the ultrasonics as they absorb the ultrasonics energies as does overloading the tank of ultrasonic cleaner. This is why I change solutions when dirty. Even the plastic baskets they provide with some ultrasonic cleaners can absorb up to 20% of the cleaning power.

As said the heating of the solution does provide better cleaning action. Just remember that once above 40C it can be rather hot to handle items before they cool. I can usually still put my hand in at 50C (100F) but after that it gets a little too much me to handle. Now I do crank the heat to 80C at times but I use a rag to handle the metal once out of the solution until it cools.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:41 am

Maybe it's time for a sticky....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby steamin53 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks guys. Good discussion and I appreciate your recommendations.

A highly trusted lead mechanic at a major Yamaha shop on the Gulf has recommended a product called Omega Clean sold by a company called OmegaSonics which he verifies does a super job for his shop and doesn't damage carbs and injectors, etc. I've decided to go with that. It's a little pricey perhaps but not as much as a replacement carb.

I've also read on the net and heard from others to use Simple Green full strength and at 50% dilution ratios, and another controversial recommendation of using Purple Power full strength to varying dilution mixes (I know from personal experience how caustic that is to aluminum and other parts).

This is a great site and I'm glad I was referred to it. As promised rapid responses with solid information.
steamin53

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

Just any other just to rinse the item that was cleaned to remove the soaps. This can either a manual rinse or thru a rinse cycle in the UC using plain water.

And Purple Power will damage aluminum and even painted items which is why you should immediately rinse after cleaning to remove it residue. But use it as intended and following the instructions it is a good product for engine exterior cleaning which is what I use it for here just to find the engines sometimes under all that dirt and oil.

Even the old carburetor dip will damage parts if the items are left in it too long. I have turn some carburetors black by forgetting to remove them when I should have done. But I haven't had a can of the dip or spray carburetor cleaner in my shop in over 4 yrs now. I actually gave a new can of the dip cleaner away back in 2014. I don't even have can of starter fluid in the shop.

With ultrasonics as with any cleaning method some manual cleaning is needed at times as is longer cleaning times. Just got to adjust to how dirty the carburetor or other item is.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 pm

My experience is with lawn mower and other 2cycle engine carbs. I have used both 1/2 oz of dawn to 1qt. of water or 1 oz. of citrol to 1qt. of water. Equally good results.
jwales
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum