• Advertisement

New to me Remington PL-5 chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

New to me Remington PL-5 chainsaw

Postby Blueflame6 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm

A barn find sent to a recycle center given to me. After 3 weeks of work it now starts and runs really well for a 50+ year old machine :P . This 65.5 c.c. beast requires 16:1 oil mix, Usually I run 40:1 in all of my two cycles ( going down to 20:1 very well ). The PL-5 now is running on my 40:1 gas mixture. Is it alright with our fuel presently and the two cycle oil we have presently to run it on 40:1?? It sure runs smooth with not much smoke but I don't want to hurt it after all my work. This is now my oldest chainsaw, my newest is a McCulloch 310 I bought in 1979. This one was very hard to find any parts for...…..what a headache...….Peter
Blueflame6

Advertisement

Re: New to me Remington PL-5 chainsaw

Postby RoyM » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:12 pm

When that saw was built in the 1970's all we had was 30 motor oil so 16:1 was common. You should be safe running 40:1 with a modern two stroke oil, I have had no problems with 50:1 in my old saws.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Roy 44 is right on.

You can use the modern oil mix at 40:1 or 50:1.

I have some of the old Rem's and Mac's and use anywhere from 32:1 to 50:1 with no problems.

Keep a heads up on those old Remington's and if you see excessive smoke, sometimes they will begin to burn bar oil due to a check valve leaking that pressurizes the oil tank.

Here is a link to a chainsaw/logger place that enjoys hearing about those old saws, may find some parts and manuals and lots of tips from some old chainsaw geezers. scroll down until you see chainsaws. ;)
It's easy to post up a picture of your saw here also.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Blueflame6 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks for the response guys......Arkie, my saw has only a thumb oiler, the auto oiler was an option with the PL-5. My operating manual even says to mix 50/50 SAE #30 and kerosene or #1 fuel oil for chain lube ( found a download from Remington - Desa ). Thanks again RoyM & Arkie...………...Peter ;)
Blueflame6

Return to Technical Discussion Forum