• Advertisement

gotta scratch your head sometimes

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

gotta scratch your head sometimes

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

working on friend's trimmer. got it running with carb adjustment initially but when checking again it stopped. found stuff on plug. cleaned it up and it started again. short test and it stopped. put in a new plug and it started again. did long test pretty much in dark and couldn't see string. finished test and checked string. didn't want to pull out so I pulled the spool off. lots of string but it was jammed. go to unjam it and I find someone had wound 1 string in the opposite direction of the other despite 2 arrows on the spool both showing the same direction.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: gotta scratch your head sometimes

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:09 pm

just an anothet note. this craftsman looks like the common ryobi. one with tank on top though. model number 51718 on sticker. no prefix. not even our Canadian 944. nothing on it on the internet except someone else looking for a manual back in 2012.
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: gotta scratch your head sometimes

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 am

Hi 38

This is not uncommon around here, I usually run into 2 or 3 of these trimmers where the owner has wound the 2 trimmer lines one each way. I guess by winding one each way, they know they have one right. The same a installing one blade each way up on a lawn tractor, they know they haven't installed them both upside down :? All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Return to Technical Discussion Forum