• Advertisement

Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Mongomery Wards Tractor Revisited!

Postby dart451 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Still working on the Wards tractor. Got new belts on and the thing moves but, will not stop or slacken the belt enough to be able to change to reverse or even neutral. It appears that the vari-speed assembly is still sticking (not going far enough forward?) even though I have tried my best to lubricate everything! I've posted a couple more pics, one of the actual tractor and one of the vari-speed assembly. I have an arrow where the pivot is. Anyway, I feel I have to remove the vari-speed assembly to clean and grease before any adjustment is made. By the way, it appears the vari-speed pulley functions properly while engine running in neutral going through speed positions...(moves up and down). There is a large spring on the bottom that has to be removed but I'm not sure how to get the assembly out so I don't take everything apart and struggle getting back together! Any tricks on getting the assembly out?

dart451
Forum Pro

Re: Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 pm

First make sure you got the correct belt lengths if you ordered aftermarket belts. Personally my aftermarket supplier started sending me belts that up to 2" short on the 5/8 belts. Hopefully that problem is solve by me changing vendors.

As for remove the sliding sleeve pulley of course you got remove the current belts, remove the large spring using an appropriate spring hook tool, then pully is remove after removing hte snap ring and nylon washer. If nothing else this will greatly reduce the overall weight you will be dealing with.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 pm

KE4AVB, I'm pretty sure I have the correct belts. And the real problem with me unable to get the vari-speed to stop spinning with the clutch all the way in, is that the assembly is not going far enough forward to slacken the belt. It looks like it could go another 1-1/2" forward. The vari-speed pulley assembly is very sticky still. I will remove the belts again but I don't think just removing the vari-speed pulley is going to help me here! I think I have to remove it at the pivot point which seems sticky but I haven't figured out how to take that part off yet...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Maybe you need to do the adjustment procedure. The rod from the clutch to the varidrive pulley lever is adjustable as part of the procedure. If you shorten that rod then the pulley will move further forward. However the procedure does not have you do that until about the 3rd or 4th step. Is the procedure in you manual? This from most mtd manuals.
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/pics/mtd-adjust1.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/pics/mtd-adjust2.jpg
What belt numbers are you using. There are a couple common combinations?
One is 754-280 on front and 281 on rear. Other is 280 on front and 370 on rear.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm using 754-280 on the front and 754-281 on the rear. Your second Jpg is the configuration I have and I thank you for a better looking diagram than what I could find! But I think you're right, by shortening the Rod a bit. I still believe i will take the assembly apart...it does not move freely no matter how much lubrication I shoot on it!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am

Dart, Sometimes you just got to go in and manually remove the rust and other curd. By trying just lubing you are fighting a losing battle as if you even get it working it won't stay working long. Just takes notes or pictures as you disassemble it if you haven't done this before.

Here I am not phased at taking things apart but I am very good at jigsaw puzzles. I have to be as I get things in where others have already mess with things. I even need to remove some their aftermarket engineering if you can call it that. You know nails and other homemade parts including duct tape and JB Weld.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks KE4AVB! Ya, I usually freak over the simplest things...then find out it was quite easy! My bad! Anyway, I have taken off the vari-speed pulley and then removed the assembly. It appears that the pivot point of the assembly has brass looking bushing on each end. I cleaned everything up and greased the bushing faces and put it back together. I HAVE found the problem though...when I tighten the top bolt of the pivot, it freezes the assembly and only moves freely when I loosen the bolt. So, I assume this is worn out but what if I put some BLUE locktite on the bolt, tighten it down enough so the assembly moves freely...think that might work?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 am

Ok, after looking at the diagram, it appears that the pivot point has a bearing shaft inside...I figured it said bearing so it should move freely!? I had to hammer it out because it was so rusty! And the nylon bushing went by-by. So, I cleaned the bearing shaft and inside of the bearing shaft hole...ordered new flanged nyliner... Gonna wait for the nylon flanges, grease everything up and put back together. Maybe the pivot point will work once again when it's tight! Sound like I'm finally on track guys?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Hopefully you have invested in a brass hammer. Mine gets a good work out several times a week.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 pm

I have a hard plastic hammer which seems to do a pretty good job but for this I just screwed in the bolt and hammers on the bolt to get the bearing out. Hey KE4AVB, am I correct that this should be greased and put back together? It was so fused together I didn't realize there was a steel pin (bearing) inside until I looked at the diagram!
dart451
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum