• Advertisement

Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Now you see what I was referring about how rust it might have been.

Yes things should be grease especially the needle bearing. It is working pivot point and not much dirt get up there normally but water does sometimes and the grease will help keep it out.

Hard plastic is better than steel on steel as the steel will flare out what it is hitting. I use brass as my hammer is 2 lbs and it takes the extra weight to move some really stuck things. Anyways it sure saves me a lot grinding on my punches.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:53 pm

I was putting a tension pulley unit on that was supposed to move but when I tightened the bolt it wouldn't move easily. I thought about leaving it loose .maybe even with double nut. Yet I knew it moved fine before with tight bolt. I concluded I must have something wrong so I took it apart. Now I can't remember what I had done wrong but after reinstalling it worked right with a tighr bolt.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Now you see what I was referring about how rust it might have been.

Yes things should be grease especially the needle bearing. It is working pivot point and not much dirt get up there normally but water does sometimes and the grease will help keep it out.

Hard plastic is better than steel on steel as the steel will flare out what it is hitting. I use brass as my hammer is 2 lbs and it takes the extra weight to move some really stuck things. Anyways it sure saves me a lot grinding on my punches.

KE4AVB, the Vari-Speed pulley has needle bearings which I will grease but I was talking about the Pivot bushing bearing. All it is is a piece of round steel which is threaded on one side and uses nylon bushings on each end. This is what I figure needs to be greased also. I will post a pic tomorrow morning of the Pivot bearing I'm talking about...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm

I recall one mtd manaul saying snap ring and washer should be removed from vari-drive pulley shaft and some drops of oil added annually.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 am

dart451 wrote:KE4AVB, the Vari-Speed pulley has needle bearings which I will grease but I was talking about the Pivot bushing bearing. All it is is a piece of round steel which is threaded on one side and uses nylon bushings on each end. This is what I figure needs to be greased also. I will post a pic tomorrow morning of the Pivot bearing I'm talking about...

You are referring to the two flanged Nylon bushings on both ends of the pivot IIRC. Yes I lightly grease these areas even though it not necessary just to prevent rusting. Just makes sense to me maybe from years of working office equipment and forms handling equipment where binding in bushings was a problem. I am just a fan having to get into those tight areas on dirty mowers. It is like those control arm pivots on the Cub cadet ZTRs that they want us to put on dry. Water gets in there and corrode the area to a point where they binding up. There I use anti seize on the new parts when I final drive them apart. Just got remember not to get it on the threads on the retainers as they will vibrate lose. Plus I know these mower are left out in all kinds of weather especially when the operator is pissed at them.

38racing wrote:I recall one mtd manaul saying snap ring and washer should be removed from vari-drive pulley shaft and some drops of oil added annually.

You know how well the owners manual is followed. Most times the OM are filed in File 13 as quickly as they unpack the new machine. The same with a lot of the OMs. When was training new operators I have seen where they had to getthe OM out the File 13 where they just empty their coffee grounds onto the manual.

I use Moly (EP2) on the bearings as I install the new ones. I don't use the hammer and punch to get these out as I have a blind hole bearing slide hammer puller. It keeps the needles contained during removal. Just got to be careful with slide hammer as to not get your fingers in the way of the hammer as it slides. Yes I nailed one of my finger as a few days ago as I forgot to put on my gloves when pulling some spindle bearings. Ouch! And not only fingers that get pinched. Years ago I pinched a inner thigh pulling a rear axle bearing cup and the scar looks like I have been shot there; 40 yrs ago. Just barely missed Pete.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am

Here are the pics. Seems like a silly way to make a pivot bearing!? It's like it's built to fail! I put one of the bushings back on the shaft just for show...LOL
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am

dart451 wrote: It's like it's built to fail!

It is. Like pretty much anything else in the economy consumer model category - they are built just well enough to last through warranty period, any longer is just a bonus.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am

bgsengine wrote:
dart451 wrote: It's like it's built to fail!

It is. Like pretty much anything else in the economy consumer model category - they are built just well enough to last through warranty period, any longer is just a bonus.

Agree...Even what was once durable goods such as washing machines and refrigerators just barely make it pass the warranty periods.

And now we got OEM dealers that will not honor warranties; unless, they actually sold the machine themselves.

It like buying a tool with a 90 day and it breaks on 91st day. And manufactures will not even honor a warranty during the warranty period unless you have a readable hard copy of the invoice or sales receipt. I had HFT decline their warranty just they could not read the receipt, that why I scan every receipt now and the original to it. Thermal paper has a bad habit of either fading or going all black.

And boy I love those lifetime warranties that is just for life of the product; otherwords, when it breaks the warranty is expired. And of course those lifetime warranties that must have the purchase receipt for in order to coverage even you have the original box with lifetime warranty printed on the box.

Now there is a few companies that still honor their lifetime warranties without question like Snap-on tools. Even Sears will try to get out their lifetime Craftsman tool warranties. I had several broken Blackhawk tools with lifetime warranty that I couldn't even get replaced as no one honors the warranty since no one around here even sells them anymore just like my Vermont American taps and dies. I just don't buy them anymore even online.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:59 pm

I would like to thank all of you for helping me with your suggestions on this Wards Tractor. I now have the tractor working properly everything functions. Thanks again to you all!
dart451
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum