• Advertisement

Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Postby dart451 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am

I have a Wards tractor I'm trying to fix...the number I can see is TMO-23907A. Now, the 2 is illegible but looks like it might be a 2 however, I have found no TMO-23907A manuals online. But I have found a TMO-33907B which is as close as I can find. Can I assume this is probably all I will find for Wards tractors? Thanks.
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Mongomery Wards Tractor Manual search?

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:16 pm

These are hard to find even parts for since monkey wards has been out this for some time now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm

WHat KE4 said - Trick is to identify which company built that for Monkey Wards - Might be Roper,might be MTD,might be Gilson,might be Aircap, just to name a few.. there were a LOT of companies back in the 80's that built riding mowers on spec for companies like Sears and MW, and JC Penney and other national chains like that, that would buy private label production runs. These days it's pretty much either MTD or Husqvarna...

If you can identify which manufacturer built the machine, then you have a better shot at finding parts and manuals
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Guys, I might give this a shot. The engine runs ok but I'm a bit confused on the variable speed pulley in this model. The drive belt from the upper motor pulley to the variable speed pulley is very loose. Yes, the belt needs to be changed but I do not think it's the cause of it being so loose. The mechanism that the variable speed pulley is connected to doesn't seem to move at all when I press/release the clutch/brake pedal although it appears that all rods are connected. Anyone tell me how this is supposed to work? If I could get the belt to tighten up, I think I can get the rest of it going.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Picture is of standard mtd vari-drive. Depressing clutch should pull vari-drive forward. There is a belt adjustment procedure but that makes sense only if everything works. Do you have more detailed ipl? If not I could upload it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 pm

38racing wrote:Picture is of standard mtd vari-drive. Depressing clutch should pull vari-drive forward. There is a belt adjustment procedure but that makes sense only if everything works. Do you have more detailed ipl? If not I could upload it.

The diagram I have posted shows a TMO-33907B. The Model on the machine looks like TMO-[2]3907A but the #2 isn't clear, could be a "3" seeing as I could find no TMO-23907A manual. Pushing the clutch in doesn't move the vari-drive...the diagram I posted DOES look like what i have however. The bottom of the Vari-speed pulley is quite wide which is probably why the belt is so loose...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Belt will be loose when clutch is in. But vari-drive pulley is supposed to move back and tighten it . movement is controlled by 2 rods. One attached to shifter and one to clutch. Iirc correctly there will be a spring on it too working against the clutch. Your unit is likely made by mtd. Check manual for more detail on vari-drive. Pulley attached to a lever that pivots likely on a shoulder spacer. Also centre of pulley has to move freely up and down to change.groove size for the belts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Depends if it is a "shift on the go" or "autodrive" system. Primary belt is loose on auto drive until the speed pedal is depressed. Also note the primary sometimes will prevent the varible speed pulley from shifting until the belt is moving as it gets pinched by the pulley.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate your feedback! Don't think I have a Speed Pedal KE4AVB...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm

If it's old I expect it to be vari-drive. Auto drive is newer setup I think. His shifter looks to be in centre of what would be the box under dash rather than newer step through. Just thinking I should just look for the manual he found.
Update found manual. Definitely the old vari-drive. I erred in saying 2 rods to it . Rod from clutch to it. Other rod from shifter goes to clutch as well on the right. Clutch moves vari-drive and rod from shifter controls how far out the clutch is allow to come. That how is sets speed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum