• Advertisement

honda eb4000 wont produce the proper HZ

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: honda eb4000 wont produce the proper HZ

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Ahhhh see you point about the spinning of a loose rotor though that shouldn't occur if everything is tight. Thank for pointing that out. I didn't of the rotor being loose but of course I never seen one loose either.

I have been quite lucky as to not seen any busted cranks just bent ones on push mowers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Ahhhh see you point about the spinning of a loose rotor though that shouldn't occur if everything is tight. Thank for pointing that out. I didn't of the rotor being loose but of course I never seen one loose either.

I have been quite lucky as to not seen any busted cranks just bent ones on push mowers.

Had one once, very long time ago (1989 or 1990) everything seemed to be just fine but it wouldnt produce power under a load (though it was fine unloaded) ..

Crankshaft had twisted off just after the PTO bearing and before the oil seal (no oil leak!) generator end bearings held everything in place and it was tight enough that it would spin the rotor normally unloaded and lose rotor RPM when loaded (noise of the broken crank masked by a cheap muffler) only was discovered when we finally decided to tear it apart and check the rotor in a growler... pop end cap off, rotor fell right out with crank attached.. only one I ever saw in 30+ years... (but a couple loose rotors.. yeah)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:28 pm

plotthound wrote:spent a few more hours on my project today.if I bump the rpm's up to 60HZ im putting out about 117 to 120volts under a load.thats about the same voltage I get at 51-52 HZ under load as well.i removed the adjuster spring and it looks the same as an OEM I found a picture of.only thing is that the spring has been stretched,3 coils of the spring are pulled away from the others thus making the spring longer.i wonder if that's where the trouble lies? I wish I owned a proper tach,this one I have that wraps around the plug wire is garbage.

thanks again

Stretched governor spring. (also called sensitivity spring on a gen and some have multiple holes to hook the spring, some don't.
I found that usually the spring itself needs to be close to the outermost hole or notch usually, but since your is stretched which would make it weaker. I've seen old GENERATOR gov springs get weak and the gen do a lot of hunting and surging when first loaded and unloaded even though without a load they are on freq at 62 hz. (spring is too weak and the gov is hunting/surging)

Yes the governor spring will make a huge difference in the initial running hz and then later if it's too wimpy/weak hunting/surging will be worse than normal.

Just some general ideas about your spring, so as to get the gen Hz in the ballpark using your old spring.

With some care you might get your old stretched spring's tension in the ballpark is take a spring scale or a gunsmith trigger spring scale or even a digital fish weighing scale that reads around 3-4 lbs (just a guess)
Take the scale and hook it onto the spring and pull on the spring to see how much addition force (and spring length) you need to get the gen on freq. (some gens have a adjustment screw so as to actually pull the spring with more force to increase the Freq.)

But you FIRST do need a good ACCURATE hz or freq meter instead of using a erratic tach.

Once you determine how much spring force you need you can shop for another spring or rig a double hook from piece of throttle cable to hook into the coils on yours and to the governor arm so as to get an idea of how much yours needs shortened. If the spring is too strong you cannot get the hz down low enough, if the spring too weak/wimpy and the gen running at 62hz the gen will hunt and surge more (governor too sensitive) as load is added and removed.

If you have a Honda part number sometimes a saved search on flea bay of NOS stuff will pop up.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

so finally I received my new govoner spring and a couple other parts to put this beast back together.now I can easily hit 60hz so the stretched spring was the culprit. thanks
plotthound
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum