• Advertisement

Husqvarna exiting the low end consumer market

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna exiting the low end consumer market

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Looks like we are losing the Husqvarna low end lines such as Poulan in the very near future. MTD will be filling this market void but will also affect the sales Briggs engines as MTD is using their own engines. The big question is "Will Husqvarna continue to supply us the parts or will they do us like Tecumseh did?.

http://www.husqvarnagroup.com/en/pressreleases/increased-focus-on-core-brands-husqvarna-and-gardena-and-restructuring-of-consumer-brands-division-1598995
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna exiting the low end consumer market

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Yup I was gonna post that too. On the other hand,what do you want to bet another chinese conglomerate buys their low end business, like TTI did with Homelite,Green Machine, etc. same old crap being dumped into the market from china, and a couple dozen "new" brands being slapped on the units, cheaper quality and prices that make them even less worth fixing.. and more headaches for dealers.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm

As long as the consumer buys by price alone and not by quality if going to a headache for all of us techs and small shops too. I send a lot users right back out the driveway when they bring those el cheapo trimmer now.

I had guy last that week that brought the parts off eBay and then brings in the trimmer in wanting me to put the parts on for free. You probably can guess what I did.

I about had it with these tight wads around here. It is same with those that insist on trying to get me to repair things on my only weekly day off. I even put up a chain across the end of my driveway and they just ignore it though it does stop the vehicles. The ones that really caused me to put the chain up was those darn 10 PM at night visitors wanting repairs. It was bad enough they would try calling at 2am in the mornings but I programmed to turn off during non-business hours.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Yep, you have to set boundaries and charge what your worth. That way you have time for the people that gladly want to pay.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 pm

By premium tractors do they mean the orange ones will continue I wonder or only the biggest orange ones.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:39 pm

From what I understand they exiting the Poulan, Weedeater, and store brands lines. Of course Sears has already dumped them in favor of the MTD models which explains why the late models are all based on the MTD designs including the chainsaws.

Also they they say that are going to honor their commitments for 2019 so it seems that things are really going to tank in 2020. I have already been seeing parts delays even on items like blades. They also changed a lot of part numbers to where no knows what the specs without ordering the parts then finding out there is already an after market part available for.

If don't do any better than they have done lately on honoring their warranties and supporting their customers otherwise they are not going to survive from the lack of repeat customers.They appear to be taking up the Chinese attitude about equipment. You know selling equipment and then not selling any repair parts so you have to buy a new machine every time it breaks down.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 pm

You get a day off. How's that haha. Yep I had those ones to call me in early morning hours too took my number off the sign and got me a new number stopped that quickly. I have a wait in line price then I have a right now price paid up front :D most of them wait. Then there's those with the ok whatever it takes to get me back out there mowing. They are the ones who understand and know how important it is to keep things moving it's when u have to order parts they don't like then that changes the price and time down.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:31 pm

No more Weedeater? Well darn. :lol: They finally came to the realization that the low end products account for the bulk of their sales but at the end of the day there is no profit. They don't want to go the way of Murray and other defunct manufacturers who tried to cater to box stores. I am out of the service side but still get people wanting me to look at their prized $100 trimmer because the greedy baron at the shop wants too much. You can guess what I tell them, I do try to be polite.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 pm

RoyM, You ever maybe those guys can't fix a string trimmer in the first place so they got their prices so high as not to try. Heck, even the Stihl dealer (John Deere) couldn't repair a Hedger back in the Spring that was dieseling; just return it to me saying there was nothing wrong with it. The tech didn't even know how to do a pressure/vac test. I had to show him how to do it using my own test equipment.

Can't do much with those $100 and under either besides replacing fuel lines and maybe a metering diaphragm/gasket set. I still fix them if it cheap enough parts wise for the elderly as the larger trimmers are too heavy for some to operate any more. It does help when those el cheapo trimmer are just gave to me for parts.

My way of giving back to the senior community. Sometimes I don't even charge for my labor when dealing with the seniors. The referral of more profitable repairs is my reward from their younger relatives.

Luffydoy, Do you have the "If you watch price level" too. That one usually get them to leave the equipment especially when it is 3x my normal labor rate. :lol: Oh in my case the locals are showing their behinds right now by not coming in because I insisted about my time off. Gee I got let my head clear sometimes. If nothing else it sure has reduced my headaches so the drugstore might start hurting a teeny bit because I not buying 100+ pills every month. I sure don't miss taking them.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Funny you said headaches been there many times to they might miss me a bit as well. For the labor rate for them to watch paid up front if I can fix or not while they watch or I'll go back to working on the one I was before they came in. Yes it's Thur the roof on those have to have it right now $$$$.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum