• Advertisement

Yard-Man 46 cut

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Yard-Man 46 cut

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 am

13AO785T055 [2011]

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into these H decks 46" with the secondary idler spring loaded where anyone is saying the V-belt is 1/2 x 103" including Stens. Here I put on a 1/2 x 103" Kevlar belt and it is way too loose in that when you get in taller grass the deck blades simply stop turning. I got a 102" Kevlar on the way but just wondering if it is just me that had this problem. I not even sure that 102 will be short enough.

The same belt 95404219 is use on the 13BX79KT011. If anyone actually have the OEM belt on hand could you please measure it and report back the length?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Yard-Man 46 cut

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:44 pm

always had problems with them - several causes.. 1) worn out draft arms (or pins located in wrong holes) , 2) worn idler arm pivots (738-04162C) and/or rust buildup that prevents idler arm from full travel 3) incorrect engagement cable (there's a couple different lengths) 4) bent PTO lever arm (usually due to a binding cable, or aforementioned rusted pivot bushing) 5) stretched spring 6) incorrect (aftermarket) idler pulleys 7) there's a couple versions that have an updated idler pulley kit (753-08171) and 8) wrong size of spindle pulleys (someone swapped out parts from another deck) and 9) bent or broken frame and 10) engine mounting bolts loose at one time resulting in elongated holes, so engine is no longer mounted in correct spot

Just to name several of the problems I have come across with those (and other) MTD decks with OEM belts that are seemingly too long. Sold out of 954-04219 Friday or I'd grab one and measure it for you, but the Oregon 15-027 belt is an exact match.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Now I do have a MTD Huskee with 4P90 that not broke the muffler but also elongated the holes in the engine plate. Customer would not let repair the source of the problem then it finally just would not pull any more. It might have been because the engine had slid back over 1-1/2". THe customer just the mower with me and I am repairing the engine for resale.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 am

I don't have issues with these myself other than the inboard deck brake not coming off far enough. They never seem to actuate as quickly as the RH side. I should have one on the hook, but just a lowly 100" measure :) I could do it the old fashioned way and tell you how far it is around the back.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 am

I wish I had measure the old belt before it left going to the landfill. It is as Brian said someone may have changed out a pulley but all look like the right ones but I had JD to change pulley locations which change belt lengths before and never noted the change.

Having a measuring tool now is making things a little easier but only if I use it before getting rid of the old belt. :lol: Mine has a couple extensions on it so I can get to 170" and boy I thought I might not even get that 5/8 x 168 belt measured the other day as that was very close to the limit. Anyway I had to get the tool which I had avoided doing for 9 yrs as I was getting a lot of short belts from what was my main AM belt supplier.

My back raised sand all weekend from flipping the Bad Boy 60" deck over a couple times to repair it. It was bent at an idler mount. 1/4" steel and it was still bent because they used a regular hex bolt instead of a flanged head. I had to have a heavy 2" OD 1/4" washer made as the one I ordered won't even ship out until Sept 7 at the earliest. I am fairly confident that it will not bend again.

I reckon I need to get one of those large gantry cranes since I work by myself for lifting these monster fabricated decks.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 am

Just me griping so forgive the whining....

What I am getting sick and tired of is the OEM hiding the v-belt specs to force us into buying their belts just to find the belt specs especially when we are having fitment problems. Now I don't mind buying the OEM if necessary but I still need to know what size is to verify that v-belt is supposedly the correct one; there are size unique to a setup. When they supersede a v-belt I still need know if it is a supplier change or belt change as we all know manufactures do to make setup changes and the equipment in the field may not have these changes or if IPL have serial breaks that even this may be wrong in some cases. On top of this even the IPLs have the wrong parts listed at times. These changes in v-belts require us to change out pulleys or other items to get them fit properly again.

This just as bad as the JD830A deck that showed all three idler pulleys being the same but had a supplement belt kit section with different sized pulleys which I found later. JD parts solution was for me to just bring the pulley and IF the deck was a JD deck they could match up the pulley with one they have in stock. Guess what they didn't even the pulley in stock to match up with. Just wasted two hours trying to do so just to be told it not off a JD mower. Well that dang deck is a JD 7 iron 60" deck. I felt like reaching across the counter and smacking the guy for lying to me. Once I figure what pulley I needed I went to their supplier and got the pulley direct just because they lied to me.

At one time they gave me a discount of parts but they have since retracted the deal so I no longer blindly buy from them as I can get better prices from other sources most times. They also recently went to charging $100 per hour for any service work which explains why I see so many Stihl handhelds now.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum