• Advertisement

Honda Roto-Stop

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda Roto-Stop

Postby plpitts1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello, I have a Honda push mower model HRR2169VYA, serial MZCG-9273870, with Roto-Stop. Pull cord is too hard to pull fast enough to start (lots of drag). If I pull the blade engage lever I can start it with no problem, but when I let go of the blade engage lever, the blade does not stop spinning. I took off the blade clutch and could not “SEE” anything wrong with it, but it seems that the clutch is not disengaging.
Thanks,
Pat
"Well, if they pay me off in tortillas, I'm gonna shoot 'em right in the eye"
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Honda Roto-Stop

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 am

This sounds like the blade is contacting the center clutch bolt. Make sure you have both blades installed the right way up. The upper blade with the tapered ends has a larger center hole than the lift blade so it will clear the bolt and bearing. I've also seen this happen on an older model HRA214 when a single blade has been installed upside down. Take a look at this https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/mowers-walk-behind-lawn-mower/hrr216k9-vyaa-honda-walk-behind-mower-made-in-usa-sn-mzcg-8670001-to-mzcg-8999999/rotary-blade-2/, the upper blade is key #2. Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby plpitts1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 am

Good morning, thanks for the response. Pull cord still drags with the blades removed, but does not drag with the blade clutch removed?
Thanks,
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:20 am

Pat, Since you know definitely the problem appear to be in the clutch you are going to need to disassemble it checking the large compression springs and bearings plus any other damage like rust. To me it sounds like one the springs has failed or rust preventing operation. Item 15 clutch spring looks like a prime candidate.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am

Check the bottom bearing, it may have seized. If it comes apart the mower and blade will part company. I had a similar problem with an HR215, the clutch was packed with grass.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby plpitts1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I took the clutch apart first thing and cleaned out what little debris there was. The bottom bearing did have a bump in it when I turned it with my finger so I replaced it. The compression ring appears to be in great shape.
I’m guessing that the drive disk (part 11 and is keyed) is not separating from driven disk (part 12 not keyed). It does compress when I let go of the blade engage bar which should be separating the two. So I am not sure which way to go. I’m thinking I need to replace parts 11 & 12, but I don’t want to just start ordering parts.
Thanks,
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby plpitts1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am

Just a follow up on this. Unit blade stayed engaged due to a broken return hook spring Part # 75143-VE1-G00. Swing and a miss for me!!
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum