• Advertisement

Accessing Vanguard Carburetor?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Accessing Vanguard Carburetor?

Postby sblg43 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Latest project is to work on a Smithco Bunker Rake. This particular machine is used to drag things around a baseball/softball field for grooming.

This unit has a Briggs and Stratton, 16HP Vanguard horizontal shaft engine. The PO had to run it with the choke engaged. Now, it won't fire on anything except starting fluid.

With the fuel line removed at the carburetor, I cranked the engine and the fuel pump is working well - plenty of fuel coming through the line.

I opened the top of the carburetor and accessed two jets, float and needle/seat. Cleaned all that I could get to.

However, it appears that I cannot remove the carburetor without removing the shroud - and I cannot remove the shroud without removing the engine from the machine.

Is there a better way to service this carb? Is it even a carb issue?

I cannot get a good look at the model number but I have an identical engine in my possession that is model 303447 1379-E1

sblg43
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Accessing Vanguard Carburetor?

Postby bgsengine » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:12 am

don't suppose you checked fuel flow through pump while you had top of carb off? checked compression / do leakdown test both cylinders? spark on both sides, known good plugs? seems to me it should be fairly easy to diagnose if you start from the beginning and go through all the diagnostic basics first before zeroing in on something baaed on assumptions... being a vanguard OHV though , if you didn't find obvious dirt or corrosion or gum/varnish in the carb, I'd go back to the basics and not just assume a carburetor problem...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 am

Then of course sometimes end up needing to pull the motor to access what you need to. That carburetor is mounted by two screws that come out the intake manifold down toward the flywheel. I work on one JD last year that I had pull the horizontal shaft engine just to get shroud off the access the coils or like the Honda GX690 on a Northstar generator that had to remove the carburetor for cleaning that require the shroud to removed so the intake manifold could be unbolted so I could remove the carburetor from it. Getting that shroud off was a real pain as I had to unbolt the whole generator/engine assembly so I move them back enough so the shroud could clear the frame.

Now you know my pain work on ATVs. A lot things on them are only accessible by pulling the engine or half of vehicle other items. The way manufactures pack things nowadays are not service friendly. We spend more time taking things apart than we do actual repairs. I can spend 4 hours getting an ATV carburetor off and back on.

As the carburetor itself there is a main jet that is not accessible unless you remove the fuel solenoid which you can't without the shroud off. Also check throttle shaft for wear.

Your repair bill should reflect the difficulty that is involved servicing this setup. If it is the first you done this particular allow some non chargeable time due lack of experience but not all. Just figure what would taken if you knew how everything was done. It sorta like me on a new project. It might take 8 hrs to get rear end out of an ATV but I charge for 4 hrs. I actually had one that took me 4 hrs to get out and in the first time but a week later when I had to remove again it only took 1-1/2 hrs as I knew how it was removed. I know I don't working for nothing or having write-off labor time but it is part of the learning curve. Just got to keep the repair bill reasonable at times.

Now your setup does look it might be a straight forward removal just be careful with that Lovejoy coupler alignment.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sblg43 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll dig in!
sblg43
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum