• Advertisement

Kohler 5400 no start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler 5400 no start

Postby RJRacing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Brand new Cub Cadet with a Kohler 5400, no start no spark, wire harness routed between block and starter, seen several of these engines on the Cubs and Troybuilts with the engine wire harness pinched causing a ground out on the kill wire, repair kill wire and reroute to outside of starter. Just a FYI for you guys like me who get to work on brand new stuff
RJRacing

Advertisement

Re: Kohler 5400 no start

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 pm

I have seen on Briggs where Mr DYIer pinches the wires between the starter and crankcase. Sometimes not enough to short when cold but engine warms shorts out and when engine cools back off the short goes away again. On the Briggs the fuel solenoid is often paired with the magneto kill wire so you might get blowing fuses for the same reason.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I have seen on Briggs where Mr DYIer pinches the wires between the starter and crankcase. Sometimes not enough to short when cold but engine warms shorts out and when engine cools back off the short goes away again. On the Briggs the fuel solenoid is often paired with the magneto kill wire so you might get blowing fuses for the same reason.

I've recently posted on that one. Daughter's neighbour.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Please don't think I was plagiarizing you 38Racing on this; just posting from my personal experiences. Matter of fact I had forgotten about yours until you just mention it. Speaking of this I just repair one here this morning where the fuel solenoid wire was pinch and blowing fuses when hot.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum