• Advertisement

possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am

Found an oil change video. Oil plug separate from vent. Manual saying 9/16 might be thread diameter as video shows allan head. Looks like only 3 linkages per side so I might as well drop the whole unit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Got it off and drained via the drain/fill plug. Right fire side had water in it. I assume it got there via the partial vent hose. After it drained I removed vent nipple( now covered) a bit more oil came out. On left side I removed vent plug while it was draining from other and no oil came out of it. As I thought plugs were 1/4" allan female. If unit works I might switch to square. Hate it when the female ones strip.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 pm

38, Can you tell me where these plug are located so I look for them the next time pull on these units?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm

KE4AVB wrote:38, Can you tell me where these plug are located so I look for them the next time pull on these units?

Just in front and a bit toward inner of vent plug. It's flanged (thin) with o-ring against flange.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:30 am

Thank you.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:43 am

Watched a video of a guy drilling and tapping bottom of his to insert a drain plug. Got to wonder why factory chose not to. Looks like some drain via a spin on filter.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Been reading a service manual on the white zts. When I was removing hydros I had removed both bolts in flange on both sides. But when lifting chassis the unit started up after a bit. I then found a front bolt on each side. So looking at manual last night it says for removal to remove bolts and has picture pointing to the rear bolts. The front ones are visible but no arrow to them. Ipl has no wiring schematic but service does and has some narrative. Already found errors in narrative versus schematic.
Got an old 12 hp on it now. Going to wire up basic start run on it. Think I will put a 58" belt on it. Spec belt is 57.5 to 57.75 but seems a bit tight. Test pulley is a bit bigger than stock.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Ahhh the anti-torque mounts. Yo find these regular hydros and manuals too. Without them the axle mounts would rip away after a while.

Multiple both old and new pulleys OD by 1.57, separately of course. The difference between the two results is your additional belt length needed. This is since you are only mounting the v-belt only on half the pulley circumference.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 pm

For testing I have added a short link between tension spring anchor point and spring end so the belt is a bit less tight now. I've also discovered that the wiring doesn't match the service manual. IPL shows the correct switches but no schematic. It does not have the 3 relays and the seat switch is not power conducting but rather the typical MTD pair of grounding spring tabs.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Making progress. Actually using the manual I drew up my own schematic which, if the restore completes, will have it wired as it originally was with all safeties incorporated. I first have just wired the start circuit using a keyswitch and solenoid.
Here is a funny aside. The flat head 12 HP engine that I mounted ran fine last year. So I have it mounted with no gas tank yet. Just as a test I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake while testing the cranking system. No fire. Repeat several times. No fire. I test for spark with inline tester. Yes. Even with plug out and grounded I get bright orange across it. So I know that could still be bad coil.I just leave it. Next morning it looks like rain so I go out to cover some stuff. I see carb cleaner sitting on ground so pick it up to put away. Guess what? It was brake cleaner. Same Gunk brand as my carb cleaner, same coloured can. And it was chlorinated, non flammable LOL. (non chlorinaated is highly flammable). So I had to grab carb cleaner and try it. Engined fired right up.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum