• Advertisement

possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:15 pm

KE4AVB wrote: I got to find out why I hurting all the time now. I feel fair good today and was able to pickup my impact gun without nearly dropping it because the stabbing pain.
Sounds like me - Cervical (upper back/neck area) Radiiculopathy - pinched nerves and spinal issues (fractured vertebra in 3 places) stabbing pains, my arms will go numb if I hold them over my head too long (which is why I can't work on cars any more, not on lifts).. Gets worse every year and especially in cold, damp weather..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Don't have upper back problems but the lower back is definitely a problem. This is why you would find me sitting a one foot stool I have or sitting on the ground when working or using the engine crane for engine replacements. The arms have always been a problem. When I was a lot younger I still couldn't hold up those Mopar torque-flite 8 very long; some time not long enough to even the get the top bolts in place. My brother always bitch at me for that but he wouldn't even try to do it. Finally got a transmission jack for that job. I was always turning my ankles. That was from being born with both feet soles touching. Corrective shoes corrected it but left the tendons weak. I now wear high top work shoes for the support. My arms was giving out on the Bobcat front end that was I cutting out the A frame bolts I was having to rest between each cut. It should had only took 30 min to do but end up taking over 4 hours.

Now the headaches, backaches, and joints that don't work well is really getting to be problem and I hate taking pills but I still going about hundred aspirins every month and a half.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Yup. join the club :) :bricks:
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm

not sure if the actual fire would be equivalent to an engine over heat. If it persists after carb swap and regular plugs I will recheck valve clearance again and then pull heads. The heads from the donor engine are maybe different although it might just be the rockers. The donor had a seized upper bearing to crank and worn sump bearing. Although I can move it now I can't actually remove the crank but that's not surprising given the top end issue. Of course I can't recall if I could see the flywheel key when nut was off.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Did a bit more. I put original carb tops on. Got it started and it would run ok but then maybe miss again. I swapped plugs. Running was about the same. I noticed on the removed plugs that the left had light coating but right did not. Then it hit me. Maybe only running on one cylinder. There were times when rpm increased and decreased but not like a surge. Grabbed the ir temp sensor and sure enough it was not running on right cylinder. I pulled the right valve cover. Valves operating. Clearance is .004 spec on intake but on exhaust I can work a .008 in tight.(should be .004) Did compression check . left is 110, right is 92. I'm thinking it should still run. So I put right plug in and cranked with inline spark tester. Good spark. I left the left plug out with its lead grounded. I sprayed some carb cleaner in right carb while cranking and it does do some firing. So before I pull the head I'm going to pull the right carb and replace the AntiBackfireSolenoid with a bolt. I guess I should also reset exhaust clearance. Wonder if that excess would lower compression?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:29 pm

38racing wrote:. I sprayed some carb cleaner in right carb while cranking and it does do some firing. So before I pull the head I'm going to pull the right carb and replace the AntiBackfireSolenoid with a bolt.
Not sure I understand your purpose here.. you do realize only thing the solenoid does is block off the main jet (high speed circuit) from getting fuel, right? idle circuit still gonna be feeding fuel.. Of course bad solenoid *could* cause it to run on just one cylinder (it'd starve for fuel) and sure, that lean mix can lead to eventual backfire through carb as vapors build up and then get lit off... Also, excess valve clearance would be likely to cause higher compression if anything, not lower.. unless both sides actually had equal wear but a "pounded out" intake valve seat (from being loose) could serve to reduce valve clearance on the intake.. so if one side seems to be in spec while the other's worn, I'd be quite suspicious there too.. You may have several issues in that engine, and you may discover by fixing one, you get bitten by another issue that was being "hidden" by the one you just fixed... (but no fire wouldnt really be expected to cause overheat condition that would loosen valve seats, unless it was hot enough to melt the aluminum head or block, by the way, in response to an earlier question you had)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:47 am

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet and maybe I'm wrong but I did have a single cylinder whose keyswitch went bad and when ABF lost power engine failed to run. So what's interesting is I have an old sears with a Kohler on it and equipped with a blade. I moved it to our church as backup for light snow not removed by our contractor. After it sat for awhile I had trouble starting it. Starts but then stops. Re-choking did nothing. Fuel pump has to pump up over the engine so I ended up using carb cleaner to keep it running as I assumed I needed to get a supply of fuel into carb. Finally stayed running. I did check connection on ABF and it was good . Actually felt warm. So yesterday, after not sitting too long, it again would start then stop, no matter where I put throttle it would stop firing. Then it struck me. Maybe the ABF was bad in run but ok in start. So I cranked and as it started I release key and it falters until I twist key a bit back to start and it refired. Funny thing is I did a couple times and then it stayed running for another 3 hours. I'm thinking the connection in run position is not good when it's cold. Maybe as it heats it find a path. Probably I'll just remove the ABF on it. I seem to recall that the keyswitch has been replaced at least once on this unit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah switch problems can cause the solenoid to not energize (I had a couple of those) - you might notice if you get it to fire up and hold the throttle at dead idle (hold it to the idle stop) the engine may continue to run - as I mentioned the ABF solenoid isn't going to shut off fuel entirely - it just stops fuel from going through the main jet (when throttle plate opens) but won't stop fuel from going through idle circuit (unless idle pulls fuel out of main jet itself,which is the case on some designs but not too many) - you need to understand the carburetor circuitry to understand how the solenoid works..

However, as I noted earlier,ABF is unlikely to cause an intermittent misfire while running (not beyond the realm of possibility, but highly unlikely) so if you are chasing down a misfire and a pop back through carburetor, I doubt very much that looking at the solenoid is going to get you very far..
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Although there is intermittent backfir from right carb the temp gauge shows it is not running on that cylinder. So I did replace the abf on the right. Still not firing. If I spray carb cleaner in the right carb my rpm goes up and i get a temp rise on the exhaust pipe. Still not above 100 c wheras left side will hit 200 c. So I'm going to reverse the carbs and see if problem switches side. If not I'll do what you suggested in the first place and pull the right head.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Ok . I swapped sides on the carbs and now I get high temps on the right exhaust and low on the left. So seems to have followed the carb. Now puzzle is it top half or bottom half? Since it didn't run right on the other different top I'm led to think it's the bottom half. I'll check it out and I do have a new bowl gasket I can use.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum