• Advertisement

possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm

So I went ahead and bought a cheap torque wrench on sale at napa. I tested on a trailer hitch ball. I torqued the nut to 50 ft lbs with the new wrench. Then I used the old wrench set to 50. It turned the nut a bit before clicking. I checked with the new wrench it. it now clicked up to 56 and then would turn it. So possibly if I had the old wrench set to 55 I might have applied maybe 60 to the bolt before. Seems to me that the pulley should have handled that. Maybe there's a chance I missed the click and caused the split. After that even 55 would keep on splitting it. So I now have the clutch mounted with it torqued to 50 with the new wrench.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:21 pm

thinking ahead I need to replace transmission vent on the right side. this is it although my hose looks longer.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-GENUINE-OEM ... SwZs1cD9fl
Don't know if a hydro gear dealer is near me that might supply it but sources online would cost me $40 cdn to get it.
Since it's just to make sure pressure is released and while stopping contamination I wondering why I can't just use a check valve like this
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JB2V9SZ/ref ... ail_2?th=1
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:18 pm

Totally frustrated again. Agter After simple valve adjustment and adding clutch I get it started and it's back to running on left cylinder only. I'm sure if I swap them left to right then right will run and left won't. How can it be other than one bad carb? Could it be that something is actually not right with the carb on the side that runs somehow affecting the other side?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Still working on it. I replaced complete bowl kit on right carb. That got it running on both cylinders. Between other stuff l'm doing I had started it many times and it seemed ok. High temps on both exhausts without misfires. So I finally got deck on (thread about short belt). It seemed to be running fine for first 5 minutes but then it began miss firing. Now it's the left cylinder. I can see flame in the intake on misfires. I ran with kill wires off (test leads on each) I even swapped coils. No change. I ground left coil and it runs without misfire. I unground it and the misfires start. I ground the right coil with left ungrounded and it stops running. I pulled left carb and put top and bowl assembly in the usc. I've got good spray through all passages. Testing tomorrow.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum