• Advertisement

possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Now that I've done wasting time on the cement mixer it's on to my neighbour's burned up white zero turn. I'm about to remove the burned breather hose on the right hydro unit. On IPL it has no part number info except for the clamp. I googled it in general and found what looks like a thread in nipple with hose clamped to it. Is that pretty standard? If so I might find the nipple is melted . If not removing it might be easier than getting hose off in terms of not getting anything into unit. Plan is too pump out oil if possible.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: possible burnt zero turn resurrection

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm

What hyros does it have?

And also I take it is not this ZTR.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I recall that you posted that picture in another thread and I thought that I had posted my picture but can't find it by searching.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 am

Well I could still use the info on the what you have so I can even begin looking things up but I got a morning full classes to watch and listen to.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:15 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Well I could still use the info on the what you have so I can even begin looking things up but I got a morning full classes to watch and listen to.

I didn't mean that you could advise me by looking at my pictures, just to note how mine was less destroyed. The pump is hydrogear but I forget the number on it. Away from home grandchild sitting today. I'll google the number tonight.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

NP problem just trying to help....

If IIRC those vents on the Hydro Gears is threaded so you can remove them to fill them with oil. Now what ever OEM did for their setup needs may have been just threaded nipple on one end and have a slip on hose on the other, much like water lines going from metal or Plastic rigid pipes to flexible hose using a band clamp or crimpped clamp.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:32 pm

It had metal nipples.
Right side is ZA AFBB 4D7B 3LJX
lookup give number 71649 as well.
Left side is ZA DFBB 4D7C 2LJX
some back ground. She bought new probably around 2005. Has used regularly. It caught fire on right side right after cutting on a hot day last summer. It sat in her yard until the spring when I trailered it home. It been sitting with hydro bypasses pulled so I can move it around. Tonight I lifted rear end way up to get at the right side breather hose nipple. Only about 3 inches of a 12 inch hose left. I started pumping oil out while still jacked up but then lowered it to ground to finish. I got about 180 ml of oil out of it. Leaving it on ground this time I removed left breather nipple and hose. I can get any oil to pump out. I even tested my pump in my bulk oil drum to make sure it was still working. Any thoughts? Should I lift the front up ? Any specific service manual to look at?seems to be several.
Ok. Looks like zt 2200 manual is what I want.
Obviously I have some learning to do. First glance indicates 53 to 55 oz. Of fluid. I better read on to find out where it is. Lol
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Am I on the right track that vent fitting is on an expansion part and the oil fill port is a separate 9/16 plug and I need to find/remove that plug to check oil level (.75 to 1.5 below)? That might explain why no oil showing at vent on left? Manual seems to imply that I can get at the fill plug without removing unit. Right now I have better view with no engine on it.But draining requires removal since it drains out the fill port.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 am

ZA DFBB 4D7C 2LJX is coming as a 310-2200 (EZT-2200) so yes the ZT2100,2200 SM is what you looking for. If you can call it a service manual; there is a lot info that should be in it that is not. The first digit of the serial will get the yer of build but that just with a particular decade. They should have used a two digit number.

SM has the 2200 using 20w50 56oz on dry refill.

The only possible fill port I have seen on these is the vent port. That LH one may have leak most if not all its oil out. I have seen it mention of fill and drain plugs but I have yet to anything other than the vent port. I had several of these where the seal on the brake cog shaft had gone bad and had leak most of the oil out.

I wish I could of more help but I just don't enough of these units in to get good at repairing them. Good luck on your project. I keep watching your posts to see if I can learn something new too; meanwhile, I am tackling my first 4P90 engine this weekend. I got to change out the crankcase cover (oil pan) due to broken and wallow out mounting bolt holes. The problem go until the mower refused to move. I got weld up the engine plate where the mounting holes are so elongated, I welded the muffler back together Wednesday evening.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 am

Since the parts list shows a plug separate from vent I will look closer. I too found the manual a bit lacking. Each repair item says drain oil. Maybe since there is no engine removing it might be easy enough depending on linkages to it. No signs of oil leak on left.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum