• Advertisement

Portable Solar Panels

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Portable Solar Panels

Postby mariannapatterson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

Hi,

I have no much knowledge on solar energy equipment, But I heard there are portable solar panels available which can be installed in several places and can be carried to several places. That sounded intersting and I gone through some websites like Walmart, Magesolar, Target Corp and more and couldn't get any clarity. Can somebody make me clear on this, that where can I find those stuff? I am happy with waiting for your useful answers.
Thank you and regards,

Patterson. 8-) 8-)
mariannapatterson

Advertisement

Re: Portable Solar Panels

Postby bobodu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am

I didn't know solar panels had pistons.... Why don't you ask the guys at a solar panel forum?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 am

Bob, I think the OP was trying to advertise a website which he had in his Sig but I remove that link. Still some of us do use solar power during our operation. Here I have a 60 watts that use primarily to charge batteries that are badly discharged that my battery charger can't break through the sulfercation. It is about half the time as damage can already be there.

The main problem with solar for me that I have found is the upfront costs of the equipment or if it equipment cheap like the 100W panel from HFT that they are not built to last. I am looking into a couple 400 watt sets off Amazon but there is high cost of the deep cycle batteries that I would need at least a pair of to run the 24V mode through an inverter even to run my security lights. During the day even my computer system out strip the input from the panel system. I would need at least a 2Kw system to power my lighting and computers. Of on days with low to no direct sun I still need TVA to supply the juice.

Just 400W system is running close to $800+ with the batteries. Here right now the one ton gantry crane is looking to be a better investment for me. Any way both projects are on hold now as when July got here the bottom fell out of the incoming repairs. I don't know if it is all the tariffs starting to hit or just a slow down. I do see quite a bit prices across the board on parts plus fuel costs have went up 25%. Gas was under $2 and is now close to $2.75 or more in some location locally.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 am

KE4AVB wrote: Any way both projects are on hold now as when July got here the bottom fell out of the incoming repairs. I don't know if it is all the tariffs starting to hit or just a slow down. I do see quite a bit prices across the board on parts plus fuel costs have went up 25%. Gas was under $2 and is now close to $2.75 or more in some location locally.

Same thing here - everything just hit a wall this past July in our area too. Shops are advertising unusually large discounts, flash sales,and the like, trying to drum up business... even mower blade sales , spark plugs and basic maintenance parts took a nosedive.. don't think it has so much to do with tariffs as something else I haven't figured out yet, cause retail prices haven't gone up from last year (they are actually more down) although a couple suppliers alerted that there may be unusually steep dealer cost increases this year , so may be worth considering stocking up more than usual on some stuff that may be most likely affected.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 am

I cut our large church lot but friend did it on july 10. Just now starting to cut it again as we had hot hot and no rain here in Ontario Canada
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am

May not be things purchased this year so much but I have things I purchase last year that has some fairly steep replacement costs already like the 694315 tank cost me last year 61.39 which just cost me 81.26 plus shipping.

What I been doing lately is checking all my prices before quoting out a job. Only a hand full of items actually went down even with my discounts. I was looking for 7" idler pulley from John Deere and good thing I checked the new cost as it more than double since Spring ($38 to $85).

Yes I am trying figure what I need the rest of this year and next Spring and trying to get ahead of the game. Kinda hard to do on a shoe string budget. The write-offs this is killing my bottom line too where I am getting defective items that cost too to return and that $1000 in v-belts that I had write-off in June due incorrect lengths.

I had major increase on v-belt costs but due to a vendor that became unreliable on sending the correct lengths. Stens belts are a lot higher but are of a better quality currently. My Oregon parts costs are down due getting in to PD. I going be trying limited amount of the Rotary and Oregon belts again. It been about 5 yrs since the last I use any Rotary belts when I had problem with them.

Any way just takes time to convert over some my inventory and to deal with out of stock items. Plus I am going start reducing in house inventory since I now got 3 vendors that are now shipping with 2 day delivery time frame.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum