• Advertisement

Transaxle Problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Transaxle Problems

Postby bob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 am

Just purchased a John Deere 180 with a noisy or whining transaxle. The transaxle was supposed to be rebuilt a year ago. It has a Peerless 806E transmission, gear driven. The transaxle shifts excellent , no slipping of gears or surging but it is just very noisy under load. With that I would think the main gears and shifting forks would be OK.Any ideas what would cause this.Thankyou.
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Transaxle Problems

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 am

Bevel gears heel and toe out of spec is a likely. The installation of the correct shims should remove the noise. It machinist blue or red to see what the wipeout is while adding or removing shims of various thickness.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks Kevin. Sorry but could you be a little more specific, I am not sure I understand. Do you mean where the input gear meets the main drive gear inside. Is there anything I can try myself to adjust. Thanks

Blair
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:45 pm

It most likely at the input shaft where it goes vertical input goes to horizonal mode.

This youtube probably can explain it better than I can. It is basically gear teeth are either entering too early or too exiting too late causing the gears to start binding making the whining noise. If ever had a rear automobile that had whining in it; it is the same thing just on a larger scale. The '99 Ford Mustangs had this problem that could not fully correct due gear design was off and the use of synthetic oil didn't help the either as it thin too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi9PBZCgw-0&list=PL57F1CE77572AA303
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

I've read that those jd transaxles are problematic. I was given a 160. Haven't done much with it but it seems to slip in some gears sometimes.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum