• Advertisement

Replacement of Transaxle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Replacement of Transaxle

Postby bob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 am

Can anyone tell me if a transaxle from John Deere STX38 (yellow deck) will replace the the transaxle of John Deere 180 (peerless 806). I need to repair my transaxle but I have a chance to purchase a complete unit off of a STX38. I have not seen it and have to travel a good distance to view so that is why I am asking for help before I make a commitment. Thankyou.

Blair
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Replacement of Transaxle

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:59 am

Honestly I don't know but the STX38 uses the Peerless 930-004B if that helps. Kinda looks like it would but the linkages set are probably different plus you might need a different drive belt length.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Replacement of Transaxle

Postby bob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah thats my problem. I just tried a spicer transaxle and it installed perfect with some little modification but the belt is too short and therefore will not shift. You are right I could guess at another belt size but it would also change the specification for the john deere 180. I will probably sell it and I am not sure I want my make shift job be someone else problem if they needed parts?? The orginal transaxle that came out of it was a replacement one and someone had wrote on it for JD180,170.LX188 and STX38 but I can find any data to verify it has similar measurements to work with orginal belt size. Did Peerless ever have drawing for their transaxles with dimensions on it similar to Briggs and Stratton engines

Blair
bob
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum